Home »  » It arrived! » Garment Button Prototype
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Garment Button Prototype [message #39712] Fri, 02 December 2011 04:02 UTC
avatar kcwinter  is currently offline kcwinter
Go to my shop
This lil' guy makes me all kinds of happy! I'm currently working on a series of garments for athletic and outerwear as a part of my thesis work at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. This button was the second attempt at creating a form that would be easy to use while cycling (so more or less blind and hurtling down the road at 20mph) but would resist popping back out of the button hole during the exaggerated movements of the body during exercise; the first test I did of this design was CNC milled in wax and then cast in bronze, mostly because I work in the department at the school with that equipment and knew it was just going to be an early prototype. This button is a bit smaller, really light, and the spiral pattern in the ridges feels nice just to play with in your hand. I had originally planned to make a silicone mold from this and cast it in another material so as to keep costs down ($4 for one button....that adds up for the final cost of a garment), but the Strong and Flexible material is quite satisfying.

ooh and my apologies for the table surface....communal grad studio workspace isn't the prettiest of places...

index.php?t=getfile&id=12428&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=12429&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=12430&private=0

Previous Topic:Raven Mask Pendant
Next Topic:Transparent Detail Lamp Trouble :?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.