Home » Community » General Discussion » Specifying material Full Color Sandstone
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Specifying material Full Color Sandstone [message #39425] Tue, 29 November 2011 01:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar valjeancook@yahoo.com  is currently offline valjeancook@yahoo.com
Go to all my models
I just successfully uploaded a couple of trivial models (VG test 2 & VG test 3). Each upload was a ZIP file containing an OBJ file and an MTL file with 2 colors.

When I try to add either model to my cart, the option "Full Color Sandstone" (FCS) does not appear under "Select Material." The option "Sandstone" does appear.

Q1: Should I just go ahead and select "Sandstone" and assume that the proper thing will happen, that the FCS material will magically be used because my model has a color profile?

Q2: If so, will FCS show up as the material on my invoice?

Q3: If not, how do I order FCS?

Thank you ... VG Cook
Re: Specifying material Full Color Sandstone [message #39448 is a reply to message #39425 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 06:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
As far as I know, OBJ is not supported for color models: your zip must contain a WRL file and JPG file for Full color Sandstone to appear.

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Specifying material Full Color Sandstone [message #39503 is a reply to message #39425 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Like Magic says... also PNG will work. Once you have sucessfully uploaded a file you'll know because full-colour sandstone becomes an option AND the preview image will be in colour.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Specifying material Full Color Sandstone [message #39551 is a reply to message #39448 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 22:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Here is the information I was relying on: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/fullcolor

"Specifications and pricing for both Full Color Sandstone and Sandstone are equal. You need to upload an OBJ, VRML97, or VRML2 file with a texture map in one ZIP file. If the file contains color information we will print your design in Full Color Sandstone. If the file has no color information we will print it in natural Sandstone."

Is the above information incorrect?

I am exporting my models from SketchUp 8, and I chose OBJ because it was the most compact 3D format. Thanks for any help...VG
Re: Specifying material Full Color Sandstone [message #39552 is a reply to message #39551 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 23:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
http://www.shapeways.com/upload/

Maximum filesize: 64 MB. Supported filetypes: DAE, OBJ, STL, X3D, X3DB, X3DV, WRL, ZIP. ZIP may contain all supported 3d files and textures. Textures files(GIF, JPG, PNG) are only available for color uploads(WRL,X3D,X3DB, X3DV files).

Re: Specifying material Full Color Sandstone [message #39605 is a reply to message #39552 ] Wed, 30 November 2011 20:00 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Here is how I interpreted that sentence: "Textures files (e.g., GIF, JPG, PNG) are only available for color uploads (WRL, X3D, X3DB, X3DV files)." I did not read the first list of file types as all-inclusive, and I'm only using colors and not textures.

But never mind, I have moved on, as the more 3D file types I can use the better off I am. After about 20 tries, I successfully uploaded a VRML file with a color that appears on a face of a model when displayed by Shapeways. To succeed I had to modify SketchUp's VRML export options and then manually edit the exported WRL file to add a line for scaling from meters to inches (using SketchUp to scale was disastrous.) I have two questions:

Q1: I have attached a screen shot of my current options for VRML export from SketchUp 8 Pro. Are these options appropriate and/or should some settings be changed?

index.php?t=getfile&id=12392&private=0

Q2: Although each face of my model is colored and 4 different colors are used (and mentioned during the VRML export process), Shapeways only displays two colors on opposite faces, and the other faces appear to be uncolored. I am uncomfortable printing this model when I cannot see all of my colors. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks...VG

Previous Topic:Lead times wrong
Next Topic:WORKFLOW!!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.