Home »  » General Discussion » Zbrush Project
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Zbrush Project [message #39077] Tue, 22 November 2011 22:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar benttoenail  is currently offline benttoenail
Go to all my models
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to Shapeways, and I'm working on a project for my nephew for Christmas. The piece I'm working on is a spaceship, which is being built in Zbrush, thus I plan on using the Zbrush 3D printer exporter to shoot it over to shapeways for printing.

I'm wondering what I should watch out for, i.e. polycount, subtools, file size, etc,. The deadline is coming up, and as I'm working on this project I'm getting increasingly nervous that when I send the file in it's going to be a huge mess to clean up. I'm not even sure how to use the 3D Export plugin in the first place!

If anyone could give me some tips / advice on this matter, you'll be making a 4 year old very, very happy.

Thanks!

-benttoenail

Re: Zbrush Project [message #39110 is a reply to message #39077 ] Wed, 23 November 2011 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Very Happy

polygon limit: 1 million
( if necessary: polygon reduction with MeshLab )

maximum file size: 64 MB

As far as I know zBrush can export models as STL files.
netfabb (basic) is a good tool to check and repair STL files.
Re: Zbrush Project [message #39137 is a reply to message #39110 ] Wed, 23 November 2011 16:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Cool! I'm glad you let me know, I've got a lot of work to do.

Thanks pfeiffer

-max
Re: Zbrush Project [message #39208 is a reply to message #39137 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 09:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar spaceboy412  is currently offline spaceboy412
Go to my shop
Hey, long time zbrusher here.
Depending on the size you plan to print and the material you may want to bump up your detail just a little bit.
One way to do that is to create a layer, then do a Deformation>polish or smooth, then go into the layer and move its intensity slider into the negative a small amount. You can always get rid of it if you don't like it.
I suggest using Decimation master before you export, its really simple to use and you can easily get that model down below even 500k.
I've had problems using the 3d exporter, especially with the .stl type. So i just did a normal save as .obj and then took that into Netfabb for checking, which depending on how you made the model may need fixing, you can also adjust the exact print size in netfabb, which is easier then trying to do it in zbrush because zbrush is really finicky about that and sometimes it doesn't update correctly.
I uploaded .obj's to shapeways with no problem.
Re: Zbrush Project [message #39510 is a reply to message #39077 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
I agree with spaceboy's comments... and will add that I've had to use the 3D print exporter when desigining for full-colour models and exporting WRL files. The correct sizing can be obtained in ZBrush. Just PM me if you are doing this.

However, as spaceboy said, if you're not worrying about colour then it's often easier to export an OBJ file and re-size in another programme if you can.

Remember that when exporting an OBJ if you have many subtools it's best to merge them first - SAVE your work before doing this !!!!! (experience!)

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Zbrush Project [message #39538 is a reply to message #39510 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 20:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I've been using Zbrush for quite some time so I'm pretty familiar with it, just not the 3D exporting part. After reading your message, it seems as if you can get the polypaint info printed as well. All you have to do is export as a WRL with the 3D export plugin?

Re: Zbrush Project [message #39553 is a reply to message #39077 ] Wed, 30 November 2011 01:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Yes and no. It's not quite as black and white as that. I have posted some detailed instructions in these forums (as have others) if you want to have a search. If you can't find anything let me know. Exporting polypainted vertices is easier than exporting texture maps.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Uploading CSV file
Next Topic:Problem with reject models printed several time before?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.