Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Work in progress » First model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First model [message #3948] Fri, 17 April 2009 09:45 UTC
avatar FishFace  is currently offline FishFace
Go to all my models
So, I saw all of those wonderful mathematical knotty things and thought I'd try the same:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/8074/3curved.jpg

My inspiration for the shape was the mathematical figure, "Compound of 5 Tetrahedra." It took quite a while faffing around in blender to get that thing right. I had a pretty well-defined picture in my mind already, so the first step I did was create the outline of the shape except, instead of letting the wires follow the tetrahedra, I had them start at the vertex then angle down into the five-pointed star. This produced a messy, angular shape, which I had intended to use as a jump-point to a more pleasant version.
So I rotated the intersections points a bit and put some more resolution in the arms. At this point though, there wasn't the interlocking of adjacent strands you see here. I also had to figure out exactly how I was going to duplicate the single component across the entire model, since there was no way I could work with the whole thing at the same time! In the end I had to use 4 array modifiers, producing 3, 2, 2 and 5 copies each, for a total of 60 copies of the initial piece. After some fiddling I got the merging working nicely and I increased the rotation to obtain the interlocking.
Deciding that using simple subsurf wasn't going to cut it, I replaced the old arm with a new one made of a beveled curve to get a more uniform appearance. After converting it and manually filling in faces/vertex pushing to get it to merge at the intersections, and you have what you see here!

Here is the uploaded model page Initially I tried to upload a 3-level subsurfed model - oops - 600,000 or so triangles >_< Just 160k with level 2, thankfully.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 April 2009 10:50 UTC]

Previous Topic:tealight cover printing soon
Next Topic:Terminator T-800

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.