Home » Support » 3D Design » how many points make a ring "round"?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
how many points make a ring "round"? [message #39298] Sat, 26 November 2011 18:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar izorg  is currently offline izorg
Go to all my models
Hi,
i'm using sketchup to build a ring. How many sides do you need so that a circle is actually felt and seen like a circle?
The default setting in sketchup is 24 sides, which looks not really round. 200 sides makes my pc really slow if i turn the circle into a 3d object (with the follow me tool)
Do i need more or is 200 enough? Or are there other techniques to make things round?
Re: how many points make a ring "round"? [message #39303 is a reply to message #39298 ] Sat, 26 November 2011 19:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
The real question is how big around is your object, and what material are you designing for? 16 faces on a 1mm post may seem nicely circular, whereas 2000 faces on a 10cm surface may still seem faceted.

I have a bit more of a writeup here about it..
http://stonysmith.com/wired/scaling.asp

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: how many points make a ring "round"? [message #39304 is a reply to message #39298 ] Sat, 26 November 2011 20:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar izorg  is currently offline izorg
Go to all my models
thank a lot Stonysmith. I'll just go for the maximum 200 sides, this should hopefully do it for such a small object as a ring.

Previous Topic:Dimension wrong
Next Topic:How to round curved cylinder edges?