Home » Support » 3D Printing » Hollow models & support materials
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollow models & support materials [message #39170] Wed, 23 November 2011 23:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar WesleyE  is currently offline WesleyE
Go to all my models
Hi everyone,

I have a question, more about the actual printing process than about modeling itself.

If I have a hollow cube, I can imagine it has to be filled with support material to build the upper cap to close the cube. Will the support material still be there when I receive the finished model at home, or is it a empty cube?

Then, out of curiosity; how do you clean the support material out of the model? Do you leave a hole open, clean it and afterwards close it?

Thanks,

Wesley
Re: Hollow models & support materials [message #39174 is a reply to message #39170 ] Wed, 23 November 2011 23:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Check out the rules for each materials, most require an escape hole for hollow models http://www.shapeways.com/materials/

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hollow models & support materials [message #39210 is a reply to message #39174 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 10:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WesleyE  is currently offline WesleyE
Go to all my models
Hmm, I've checked those pages but I don't see any notice about escape holes in any of them. Am I missing something or is it just a general requirement?

If so, is there a option to fix those escape holes and how big do they have to be?
Re: Hollow models & support materials [message #39216 is a reply to message #39170 ] Thu, 24 November 2011 13:23 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Kasss_Gnarl  is currently offline Kasss_Gnarl
Go to all my models
Have a look here: Tutoirial Creating Hollow Objects
It reccomends a hole of at least 2mm wide to allow cleaning.

Hope this helps. Smile

Previous Topic:Black is not really black?
Next Topic:Test Print for silver...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.