Home » Community » It arrived! » One-sided die
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
One-sided die [message #38904] Sat, 19 November 2011 23:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi,

I wanted to show you something more interesting that it could seem: the one-sided Truncated Sphere die (aka D1):
http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/325914/photos/photo56296.jpg

Of course, you could consider it completly useless (and probably you would be right), but I would add that it is hollow and weighted, so that it always stops on the flat face (that is at the opposite of the number "1").

And the interesting thing is that the escape hole is too small for the support material to actually escape! It works because the un-sintered powder (the support material) that is trapped inside has a lower density than the sintered material.

To demonstrate this difference of density i designed two cubes:
http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/329987/photos/photo56301.jpg
one is solid and the other is hollow (once again, with no hole large enough for the support meterial to escape).
As soon as i find my @#$%! precision scale, I will calculate both densities and let you know.

If you want to test if materials other than Strong and Flexible have this property, the cubes are available for sale with no markup (and available for download).

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: One-sided die [message #38905 is a reply to message #38904 ] Sat, 19 November 2011 23:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
The data sheet says bulk density 0.45 g/cm3, density of laser-sintered part 0.93 g/cm3. Alumide also has that property, but with one extra twist, one floats and the other sinks in water.
Re: One-sided die [message #38917 is a reply to message #38905 ] Sun, 20 November 2011 12:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Thanks Stannum.
I finally found my precision scale, and my experimental results are:
- density of sintered material: 0.97
- density of support powder: 0.43
which is very close from your data.
This should allow me to optimize the D1...

Re: One-sided die [message #38919 is a reply to message #38917 ] Sun, 20 November 2011 16:29 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Please, check the videos of the test cubes and also the video of the D1 Sphere in action.

Previous Topic:Koch Snowflake Christmas Ornament
Next Topic:ROCK`N`ROLL COOKIE CUTTERS for XMAS arrived!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.