Home » Community » General Discussion » Game changing 3d scanning software
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Game changing 3d scanning software [message #38368] Fri, 11 November 2011 14:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar CristobalGordo  is currently offline CristobalGordo
Go to all my models
Hopefully to motivate people (or Shapeways) to help with my "hollow stl" problem, I have to let you all in on something great. For the past couple months I've been playing with Photofly software from Autodesk which is now in beta testing (and free) as 123d catch Basically, you take 20 or 30 photos of something and it generates a mesh and texture and it WORKS GREAT! It really is amazing and game changing.
No more laser scanning. No more expensive scanners. A digital camera is all you need. With this software, anyone could take 30 pictures of something, do a little processing, send it off to Shapeways and receive A COLOR 3D COPY OF THE THING IN TWO WEEKS. Yeah. Wrap your head around that one.

A really important piece of software that Shapeways might want to consider developing in order to tap into this is a "thicken mesh" feature. This is a big one. With meshlab, for example, you can take your scanned head, say, and make it water tight and transfer over the nice texture that Catch gave you. This way you can print on a color printer your super accurate and realistic head in color with the texture. Problem is, you pay a fortune because a head is a big solid thing that uses tons of material. You really want a hollow head but it's actually a bit complicated to do this. If you guys could include something to do this, you'd open up a world of possibilities. Really. It would be huge.
Here are some pictures. The two heads are from busts in the Met in NYC. The female is an obj file with texture not yet watertight. The male is watertight and ready to print. And the lamppost is a photo of the real thing and a generated stl.index.php?t=getfile&id=11928&private=0

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2011 20:07 UTC]

Re: Game changing software [message #38369 is a reply to message #38368 ] Fri, 11 November 2011 14:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Here are the other pictures index.php?t=getfile&id=11929&private=0

Re: Game changing software [message #38370 is a reply to message #38369 ] Fri, 11 November 2011 14:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
One moreindex.php?t=getfile&id=11930&private=0

• Attachment: Priest00.png
    (Size: 96.80KB, Downloaded 388 time(s))

Re: Game changing software [message #38646 is a reply to message #38370 ] Tue, 15 November 2011 22:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar volundr  is currently offline volundr
Go to all my models
Very cool -- thank you for posting this
Re: Game changing 3d scanning software [message #38679 is a reply to message #38368 ] Wed, 16 November 2011 14:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I wish I had a MAC to play with their 123D make

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Game changing 3d scanning software [message #38688 is a reply to message #38679 ] Wed, 16 November 2011 17:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Maethius  is currently offline Maethius
Go to all my models
Phenomenal! This could help out greatly with a project we've got going at work right now!
Re: Game changing 3d scanning software [message #38807 is a reply to message #38368 ] Fri, 18 November 2011 10:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kettimelon  is currently offline Kettimelon
Go to all my models
this is really a great software.....
Re: Game changing 3d scanning software [message #38820 is a reply to message #38807 ] Fri, 18 November 2011 14:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
It's awesome! I suppose this won't work for reflective or transparent objects though. Perhaps if you coat it with a matte substance first, like that white paint they use to write on windows.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2011 15:01 UTC]

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: Game changing 3d scanning software [message #38822 is a reply to message #38368 ] Fri, 18 November 2011 15:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
CristobalGordo wrote on Fri, 11 November 2011 14:37

Basically, you take 20 or 30 photos of something and it generates a mesh and texture and it WORKS GREAT!

Basically... couldn't one just make 20 or 30 screenshots from Shapeways' 3D viewer, and steal almost every design ? Uh Oh

Previous Topic:shopping cart is broken!
Next Topic:post production - painting

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.