Home »  » 3D Applications » Model orientation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model orientation [message #824] Mon, 11 August 2008 15:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar soxofaan  is currently offline soxofaan
Go to all my models
Hi,

I made this statue in blender:
http://www.shapeways.com/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=2700&f=photos/photo163-thumb.jpg
the up direction is along the (positive) Z axis, which how it's mostly done I presume

After converting to STL and uploading it to shapeways, the generated preview however displays the statue flat on its nose:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/2700/druplicon_statue.html

Is this expected (because I got my XYZ-axis wrong)? Is this because of the server side postprocessing? And will it be printed that way?

I added the foot (or should I call it pedestal?) at the bottom especially so that the drop shape could stand fixed (and could be printed without rolling around).

Thanks
Re: Model orientation [message #826 is a reply to message #824 ] Mon, 11 August 2008 15:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar andre.bois  is currently offline andre.bois
Go to my shop
Too bad you do not allow seeing your model, I don't know how to help you.
Re: Model orientation [message #830 is a reply to message #826 ] Mon, 11 August 2008 16:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
oh, sorry
I forgot to enable it as a public model Rolling Eyes
should be fixed now

thanks for your time
Re: Model orientation [message #841 is a reply to message #830 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 07:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi saxofaan,

yeah, that's a result of our server processing - we'll be adding better controls for that in the near future. In the mean time, don't worry about the print result, our operators always manually re-orient each model for the best printing quality.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Model orientation [message #844 is a reply to message #841 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 10:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar svenpb  is currently offline svenpb
Go to all my models
bartv wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 03:27

In the mean time, don't worry about the print result, our operators always manually re-orient each model for the best printing quality.

I was worried about that, so it is not the most economical orientation, then? For example, if I print a gear, it is printed flat like you draw it on paper?
Re: Model orientation [message #855 is a reply to message #844 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 14:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
svenpb wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 06:20

In the mean time, don't worry about the print result, our operators always manually re-orient each model for the best printing quality.

I was worried about that, so it is not the most economical orientation, then? For example, if I print a gear, it is printed flat like you draw it on paper?

Usually, yes. One of the things the printers need to do is keep the support structures to minimum. So a gear would be printed flat because that needs no support structure during the printing process.

As for the axis directions - the conventions of pretty much every 3D file model format is that X and Z form the horizontal plane with Y pointing upwards (unless it comes from the geospatial community, which then has Z up). So we don't do any processing on the coordinate axis because knowing what is "up" is impossible to determine automatically.
Re: Model orientation [message #861 is a reply to message #855 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 22:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I use Blender for modeling and there the up direction is along positive Z.

I remade my model with up along positve Y, and now it is indeed rendered in the right position:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/2922/druplicon_statue_take_4. html

thanks
Re: Model orientation [message #871 is a reply to message #855 ] Wed, 13 August 2008 10:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
WetMorgoth wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 10:57

Usually, yes. One of the things the printers need to do is keep the support structures to minimum. So a gear would be printed flat because that needs no support structure during the printing process.

Thanks, I didn't think about that. Makes sense.
Re: Model orientation [message #880 is a reply to message #871 ] Wed, 13 August 2008 20:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
So, funny coincidence. Here I am sitting in a siggrah paper presentation titled: Upright orientation of Man-made Objects. Basically automating this problem of determing which way is up.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2008 20:56 UTC]

Re: Model orientation [message #3881 is a reply to message #855 ] Fri, 10 April 2009 12:25 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Well, apparently not.

I've printed a mutilated gear and it is printed in the least preferable orientation.

I can not make a picture of the gear because my camera just can't focus and can't see the details, but I've made an image to explain.

To get good results in gear printing I think the orientation is critical. I've built a router a few years ago (when I had little money and a lot of time) for about 1000 euro. The result of the milling is better than the printed gear. And that is not what I want (now I have more money and less time, I do not want to make them myself).

This single gear I've printed will probably work, I'll assemble it tomorrow. But then again, the final design I have in mind uses a lot of gears. And then I'm worried.

I'll probably order again to try out other things, but still...

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 09:52 UTC]

Previous Topic:3D Max - inverted normals (bis)
Next Topic:Fix Found for Export Bugs in XSI 7.0+

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.