Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Model orientation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model orientation [message #824] Mon, 11 August 2008 15:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar soxofaan  is currently offline soxofaan
Go to all my models
Hi,

I made this statue in blender:
http://www.shapeways.com/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=2700&f=photos/photo163-thumb.jpg
the up direction is along the (positive) Z axis, which how it's mostly done I presume

After converting to STL and uploading it to shapeways, the generated preview however displays the statue flat on its nose:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/2700/druplicon_statue.html

Is this expected (because I got my XYZ-axis wrong)? Is this because of the server side postprocessing? And will it be printed that way?

I added the foot (or should I call it pedestal?) at the bottom especially so that the drop shape could stand fixed (and could be printed without rolling around).

Thanks
Re: Model orientation [message #826 is a reply to message #824 ] Mon, 11 August 2008 15:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar andre.bois  is currently offline andre.bois
Go to my shop
Too bad you do not allow seeing your model, I don't know how to help you.
Re: Model orientation [message #830 is a reply to message #826 ] Mon, 11 August 2008 16:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
oh, sorry
I forgot to enable it as a public model Rolling Eyes
should be fixed now

thanks for your time
Re: Model orientation [message #841 is a reply to message #830 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 07:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi saxofaan,

yeah, that's a result of our server processing - we'll be adding better controls for that in the near future. In the mean time, don't worry about the print result, our operators always manually re-orient each model for the best printing quality.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Model orientation [message #844 is a reply to message #841 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 10:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar svenpb  is currently offline svenpb
Go to all my models
bartv wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 03:27

In the mean time, don't worry about the print result, our operators always manually re-orient each model for the best printing quality.

I was worried about that, so it is not the most economical orientation, then? For example, if I print a gear, it is printed flat like you draw it on paper?
Re: Model orientation [message #855 is a reply to message #844 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 14:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
svenpb wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 06:20

In the mean time, don't worry about the print result, our operators always manually re-orient each model for the best printing quality.

I was worried about that, so it is not the most economical orientation, then? For example, if I print a gear, it is printed flat like you draw it on paper?

Usually, yes. One of the things the printers need to do is keep the support structures to minimum. So a gear would be printed flat because that needs no support structure during the printing process.

As for the axis directions - the conventions of pretty much every 3D file model format is that X and Z form the horizontal plane with Y pointing upwards (unless it comes from the geospatial community, which then has Z up). So we don't do any processing on the coordinate axis because knowing what is "up" is impossible to determine automatically.
Re: Model orientation [message #861 is a reply to message #855 ] Tue, 12 August 2008 22:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I use Blender for modeling and there the up direction is along positive Z.

I remade my model with up along positve Y, and now it is indeed rendered in the right position:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/2922/druplicon_statue_take_4. html

thanks
Re: Model orientation [message #871 is a reply to message #855 ] Wed, 13 August 2008 10:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
WetMorgoth wrote on Tue, 12 August 2008 10:57

Usually, yes. One of the things the printers need to do is keep the support structures to minimum. So a gear would be printed flat because that needs no support structure during the printing process.

Thanks, I didn't think about that. Makes sense.
Re: Model orientation [message #880 is a reply to message #871 ] Wed, 13 August 2008 20:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
So, funny coincidence. Here I am sitting in a siggrah paper presentation titled: Upright orientation of Man-made Objects. Basically automating this problem of determing which way is up.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2008 20:56 UTC]

Re: Model orientation [message #3881 is a reply to message #855 ] Fri, 10 April 2009 12:25 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Well, apparently not.

I've printed a mutilated gear and it is printed in the least preferable orientation.

I can not make a picture of the gear because my camera just can't focus and can't see the details, but I've made an image to explain.

To get good results in gear printing I think the orientation is critical. I've built a router a few years ago (when I had little money and a lot of time) for about 1000 euro. The result of the milling is better than the printed gear. And that is not what I want (now I have more money and less time, I do not want to make them myself).

This single gear I've printed will probably work, I'll assemble it tomorrow. But then again, the final design I have in mind uses a lot of gears. And then I'm worried.

I'll probably order again to try out other things, but still...

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 09:52 UTC]

Previous Topic:3D Max - inverted normals (bis)
Next Topic:Fix Found for Export Bugs in XSI 7.0+