Home »  » 3D Design » Stencil From Line Drawing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stencil From Line Drawing [message #3841] Tue, 07 April 2009 22:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar daniel.campbell  is currently offline daniel.campbell
Go to all my models
Hi all, I am new to 3D modeling, but I have a good bit of experience in 2D, working with Photoshop and Illustrator. My question is this: is there an easy (automated?) way to take a line drawing, and from it create a stencil using a program like Blender, and then fabricate it on Shapeways? The thought came to me as I was working on a drawing destined for silkscreening, but the image is quite detailed and would take a long time to cut by hand. Anything to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dan
Re: Stencil From Line Drawing [message #3843 is a reply to message #3841 ] Wed, 08 April 2009 01:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Oracle of Wuffing  is currently offline Oracle of Wuffing
Go to my shop
Silkscreening... I want to see pictures of this if it turns out!

Sounds like the process isn't much different than this tutorial here. I don't have any line art on hand to test it, but since you're using Adobe Illustrator, you want to save your line art as a .SVG file. It appears Blender can then import the SVG file as a path, and from there, you'd just extrude it. Blender's not my thing, though, so I don't know if there's anything extra to know about the extrusion process.

I know of a way to do it in ZBrush if you want to post the file- import a PSD file as an alpha, extrude the alpha from a high-resolution 3D Plane, export as OBJ- but you or someone else would need to tweak the file to get it as thin as you need it, as ZBrush doesn't handle real-world measurements as easily as other programs.

You might have some issues with keeping all of your lineart detail with out overdoing your polygon count... But that part's difficult to judge until you get there.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 April 2009 02:27 UTC]

Re: Stencil From Line Drawing [message #3844 is a reply to message #3841 ] Wed, 08 April 2009 02:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
As an alternative to cutting your screen, you might try something like EZ ScreenPrint which offers light sensitive screens. I haven't used them yet, but they look pretty good.

http://ezscreenprint.com/

Re: Stencil From Line Drawing [message #3868 is a reply to message #3844 ] Thu, 09 April 2009 05:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar daniel.campbell  is currently offline daniel.campbell
Go to all my models
Thanks so much for both of the responses!!! I'm still fumbling my way through Blender, but I did do what you said and I imported an SVG file I made in illustrator, and that worked brilliantly. I just had to import the image into illustrator, did a live trace and exported it as SVG. I'll definitely post the results when It's done. Again thanks for the direction. Oh and those light-sensitive sheets for silk screening look great. A little expensive, but I'll have to try it some time! Attached is the 2d sketch I'm working with. It's based on a photo from Dali split into three layers for printing (my profile picture). I'm hoping that I can make it so i can break away each layer after it is fabricated so I can print them separately.

index.php?t=getfile&id=496&private=0

Previous Topic:Moving parts WSF clearances ?
Next Topic:Inverted Normal on a laryngoscope

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.