Home » Support » 3D Printing » IsoSurface (Implicit surface)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  IsoSurface (Implicit surface) [message #1547] Sun, 12 October 2008 20:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar xlcus  is currently offline xlcus
Go to all my models
I have a 3D object I would like to make a model of, but it is defined as an IsoSurface (Implicit surface - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_surface ).

Is it possible to generate a model from this directly instead of having to convert it to a polygon mesh first?
Re: IsoSurface (Implicit surface) [message #1549 is a reply to message #1547 ] Mon, 13 October 2008 07:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi xlcus,

yes, you'll have to convert it to a polygon mesh. I'm not aware of any tools that could do that for you. If you know of any, please let me know!

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: IsoSurface (Implicit surface) [message #1625 is a reply to message #1549 ] Sun, 19 October 2008 14:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
Many file formats support implicit surface definitions. We don't support those currently as most of those file formats are not well defined mathematically in their implicit surface definitions (the original editor knows how to treat them, but the file format is reverse engineered so we don't have good details of specifics, particularly of the blending between surfaces). Crying or Very Sad
Re: IsoSurface (Implicit surface) [message #3856 is a reply to message #1547 ] Wed, 08 April 2009 15:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ganter  is currently offline ganter
Go to all my models
You can use Mathematica to both display your implicit surface and then export it as an STL file.

Something like:

plt = ContourPlot3D[...you implicit surface details...]
Export["myobject.stl",plt,"STL"]

The surface likely has its normals pointing in
the wrong direction.

Use Meshlab to fix it.
Re: IsoSurface (Implicit surface) [message #3859 is a reply to message #1547 ] Wed, 08 April 2009 16:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar frankbuss  is currently offline frankbuss
Go to my shop
I think the HyperFun polygonizer can do this:

http://hyperfun.org/wiki/doku.php?id=hyperfun:hfp_documentat ion&s=stl

The page says that it can save it as STL.

Previous Topic:Recurring problem - Too many polygons
Next Topic:Material and option petition