Home » Community » General Discussion » Popularity?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Popularity? [message #38004] Sat, 05 November 2011 11:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar FreakingRiddle  is currently offline FreakingRiddle
Go to my shop
So, I was wondering....are my models that bad (+1) or there is a way to make them popular? I see every day some models that are kinda lame.....useless and not pretty (my opinion) but still they are in the front page or just at the popular ones....How does shapeways make a model popular? by the page views? the downloads? the 3D prints? Confused Confused Confused

Riddle, riddle riddle...
Re: Popularity? [message #38007 is a reply to message #38004 ] Sat, 05 November 2011 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
A good way to get noticed is to share photographs of your 3D prints in the 'It Arrived' forum.

It is important that your item is well photographed and has a good description.

Kind regards

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Popularity? [message #38014 is a reply to message #38007 ] Sat, 05 November 2011 13:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you very much for your help!!! Smile
With your experience, is this good or it needs more photos?

[Updated on: Sat, 05 November 2011 13:45 UTC]

Riddle, riddle riddle...
Re: Popularity? [message #38020 is a reply to message #38014 ] Sat, 05 November 2011 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
Duann is speaking of real photos, of actual prints. Your renders are nice, but IMHO there is no way those are going to print in sandstone, at least not in one piece. The wings and antennae would be fragile in WSF, and will never survive in sandstone.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Popularity? [message #38022 is a reply to message #38020 ] Sat, 05 November 2011 17:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
rly? daaaamn.....

So, the sandstone breaks easy or what?

Riddle, riddle riddle...
Re: Popularity? [message #38025 is a reply to message #38022 ] Sat, 05 November 2011 19:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Wow... your virtual painting skills are impressive, the Weaver looks really cool.

Yes, FullColorSandstone is very brittle...
The model might be printable in FCS (the min. diameter for unsupported wires in FCS is 3mm), but that doesn't mean it will survive the transport via UPS.

Real photos are always better than rendered pics. Real photos show potential customers what they'll hold in their hands, rendered pics just visualize them the ideas in your head.

A model on the Shapeways front page requires just four (more or less) easy steps:
1.) Design something really cool. (done^^)
2.) Order your own design.
3.) Make some good photos of the model.
4.) Post the photos in the "Feature this!" subforum.
Re: Popularity? [message #38056 is a reply to message #38025 ] Sun, 06 November 2011 05:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AD-Edge  is currently offline AD-Edge
Go to my shop
pfeiffer stylez wrote on Sat, 05 November 2011 19:09

Real photos show potential customers what they'll hold in their hands, rendered pics just visualize them the ideas in your head.

A model on the Shapeways front page requires just four (more or less) easy steps:
1.) Design something really cool. (done^^)
2.) Order your own design.
3.) Make some good photos of the model.
4.) Post the photos in the "Feature this!" subforum.

+1
Id also suggest a 5th step to help with selling tho:
5) Show off the model somewhere where its relevant and where there's likely to be a saturation of customers who would buy the model.

I dont know how people can make a model, put it on shapeways, and then sell it straight away though. Id want to print the model myself first, make sure it looks ok, is strong enough, and that there isnt any other issues, then Id put it online for sale (of course with real pictures of the model)
I know I wouldnt even think about buying someone else's model if they hadn't provided pictures of the real print.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2011 05:34 UTC]

Re: Popularity? [message #38136 is a reply to message #38056 ] Mon, 07 November 2011 21:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
One thing that I've had in mind lately for the community front is providing more support for shopowners, in terms of tips and tricks on the best way to present designs and reach different markets.

@pfeiffer stylez I loved your breakdown.

@everyone Are there any other topics you think we could provide more valuable info/advice about?

[Updated on: Mon, 07 November 2011 21:00 UTC]

Community Manager | Shapeways

Previous Topic:TO DESIGNERS!!
Next Topic:Some reading material for Shapeways' packing crew

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.