Home » Community » It arrived! » Shakuhachi Flute
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shakuhachi Flute [message #37769] Wed, 02 November 2011 11:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar SheilaMunro  is currently offline SheilaMunro
Go to my shop
Here's a look at a small 9.4 inch-long Glossy Antique Bronze Shakuhachi flute. It's an F key flute. I'm so happy with Shapeways right now. Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=11724&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=11725&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=11726&private=0

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 11:11 UTC]

Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #37800 is a reply to message #37769 ] Wed, 02 November 2011 17:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar claytondb  is currently offline claytondb
Go to my shop
That is so incredibly cool... I don't even know what to say. Good job! How much did it cost?
Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #37803 is a reply to message #37769 ] Wed, 02 November 2011 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Incredible model! Does it work as a flute? If so, any chance of a video so we can hear it?

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #37807 is a reply to message #37769 ] Wed, 02 November 2011 20:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks guys! The flute in Glossy Antique Bronze costs around $140 to produce, I'm willing to let them go for $200 through Shapeways. I'm curious about some of the other materials, maybe frosted ultra-detail would work for something like this? And yes, it works as a flute. Smile I'll definitely be posting a video soon. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 20:47 UTC]

Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #37837 is a reply to message #37769 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 11:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Amazing! Can't wait for the video! Smile

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #37840 is a reply to message #37837 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Very Cool,

Please do post a video of it being played.

I love Shakuhachi

I would recommend against putting any of the detail materials in your mouth...

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #37862 is a reply to message #37769 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 14:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yikes, that looks good. Hopefully you have no metal allergies/reactions when playing that!

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #37887 is a reply to message #37769 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 19:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Lol Duann, yes of course. Mouthpiece on a Shakuhachi just kindof rests below your bottom lip, not like a regular flute, it's a lot harder to play as you know. Smile It might be interesting to do a combination of materials, one material for a removable mouthpiece, and another for the flute itself. I may also use bamboo mouthpieces.
Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #37910 is a reply to message #37887 ] Fri, 04 November 2011 02:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Yeah, I vote for the Bamboo mouthpiece unless you have a serious protective layer of beard...

Please do post a video so we can blog it..

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Shakuhachi Flute [message #38084 is a reply to message #37769 ] Mon, 07 November 2011 00:54 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Here's a short video of the flute being played by my old man. Smile Not the best recording, but at least shows that the flute plays.

This video may not be good enough quality to be blogging material, if not please just let me know. I'm going to work on getting a really good video soon. Smile

The flute's quite loud even without a microphone, I can't wait to get a larger version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erh6-MGaiFE

Edit: Thanks so much for blogging this Duann and everyone on the Shapeways Team!!! Without you this design and others would only exist in my imagination! Smile You're the best!

[Updated on: Sat, 19 November 2011 07:28 UTC]

Previous Topic:<3 lamp
Next Topic:Motor adjustment via shapeways

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.