Home » Community » General Discussion » Millions of questions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Millions of questions [message #37880] Thu, 03 November 2011 18:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar MealeaYing  is currently offline MealeaYing
Go to my shop
As you might have guessed from the subject I have a few questions.... GRIN!

The first one is this:
How does the shop thing work?
If I make something, upload it, and someone wants it they hit a button, fill out a form, and you guys print it and then send it to them?
Did I read the support page correctly?
If so this is seriously cool!
(Im one of those people who like making stuff more then thinking about selling stuff... my idea of advertising is: "I make stuff".)

Next is this:
how does one go about making something hollow?
For example a sphere, if I put a sphere inside another sphere does that make one hollow sphere or two spheres, one unprintably inside the other? I'm curious about this as I have no clue how to hollow out a person or any other object.
Where do you start with that?
Does it need to be open somewhere (like a bottle)?
Also if this is as insanely hard as it sounds is there some sort of utility that looks at your model and goes POOF its hollow?

The next and for now last question is this:
How many people make a living doing this? I would LOVE to see a store that someone is making enough to live on with, that would teach me a lot I think about what is possible.

Thank you and Cheers!!
Mealea

(-_-) {GRIN!)
Re: Millions of questions [message #37881 is a reply to message #37880 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 18:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
Most of your questions are answered in the Tutorials section.
http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: Millions of questions [message #37882 is a reply to message #37880 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 18:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
How does the shop thing work?

Just like any other online shop. Either you buy what you want that others have made, or make your own and sell or buy it.

If I make something, upload it, and someone wants it they hit a button, fill out a form, and you guys print it and then send it to them?

Pretty much

Did I read the support page correctly?
If so this is seriously cool!
(Im one of those people who like making stuff more then thinking about selling stuff... my idea of advertising is: "I make stuff".)

I'm like that too. Probably why I've made like $50 in 3 years here. Others make a living off their sales

Next is this:
how does one go about making something hollow?
For example a sphere, if I put a sphere inside another sphere does that make one hollow sphere or two spheres, one unprintably inside the other? I'm curious about this as I have no clue how to hollow out a person or any other object.

It all depends on the software. In your example, you would have (depending on software) either subtract the inner circle, or flip it's normals. From there you have to have a hole from the outside to the inside or the shapeways software will automatically remove it. If you do as you said (a sphere in a sphere) you won't be charged for overlapping geometry, shapeways automatically fuses them

Where do you start with that?

A 3D software

Does it need to be open somewhere (like a bottle)?

For hollow, yes. and for some materials the hole has to be large enough for the part to be cleaned. See this page for specifics on materials http://www.shapeways.com/materials

Also if this is as insanely hard as it sounds is there some sort of utility that looks at your model and goes POOF its hollow?

That depends on your software. For example in my software I can Shell a body, but complicated surfaces usually get in the way.

The next and for now last question is this:
How many people make a living doing this? I would LOVE to see a store that someone is making enough to live on with, that would teach me a lot I think about what is possible.

Can't help you there.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Millions of questions [message #37897 is a reply to message #37882 ] Thu, 03 November 2011 21:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
@youknowwho Thanks buddy!

@MealeaYing welcome Smile

As for your last question, there are a number of people in the community who make most or all of their income via their 3D printed design. The folks from Nervous System are one of the best known examples. There are others, but different members sometimes prefer to keep that info private, so I'll leave it to them to discuss if they'd like.

Another thing - among people who make a living off of Shapeways 3D printing, many of them use multiple sales channels in addition to their Shapeways shop. Me and my team are are currently working on making Shapeways a big shopping destination, but at the moment, designers often like to use a couple different sales streams. You can make good money off of your Shapeways shop, it just might not put your kid through college all on its own.

If this topic interests you, I'd suggest reading this blog post on Vijay aka Dotsan who's made a solid business for himself providing 3D modeling services.

Glad you find the possibilities exciting, I'm a pretty big fan myself. Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Millions of questions [message #38345 is a reply to message #37897 ] Thu, 10 November 2011 22:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar MealeaYing  is currently offline MealeaYing
Go to my shop
Thank you all so much for this stuff...
I am new to 3D stuff in some ways and totally new to 3D printing.
I am just as nervous as I am excited.
This is going to be so fun if I can just get up the nerve to decide what to print...

Thanks again!
Mealea

(-_-) {GRIN!)

Previous Topic:Wall thickness - JEWELRY
Next Topic:Redirect some earnings to charity

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.