Home » Community » It arrived! » WSF Print incredibly warped!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF Print incredibly warped! [message #37079] Fri, 21 October 2011 04:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar coolbutpointless  is currently offline coolbutpointless
Go to all my models
So, I got my newest order and while both items I ordered have issues with warping and less than stellar edges(as in rounded where there should be corners), this one is particularly bothersome to me.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/benwahballboy/telchak_002.jpg
Detail close up 1.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/benwahballboy/telchak_001.jpg
Detail close up 2.

The entire thing is supposed to be squared off.

Looking at the grow lines it's kind of indicative that it was the print orientation that caused this warping. The item is made so that it is similar to a step pyramid made so that, the most preferable way(in my opinion) is to have the largest face facing downward and to have the rest of the item printed "up" from there.

It appears it was printed starting with the lowest edge of the largest face first and progressing upwards. As such, it sags there and the entire thing seems almost as if it shifted slightly with each layer as a result.

I sent a message to CS earlier and am waiting to hear back, but I figured I would share this with the you guys in case you were interested.

I know there are a few threads asking for the ability to choose print orientation and that Shapeways has said that that would possibly increase cost or some such thing(I haven't read it all regarding this matter but I would assume it has something to do with cost).

I want to propose a more comprehensive quality check because looking at this I think it's pretty obvious it was supposed to be squared off all around and it is definitely not so in the final print.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/benwahballboy/telchak_003.jpg
Largest section, full image of rear. Note the edges curvature. Looking at the curvature, it appears this item was either printed from image left to image right or image right to image left.

I know this is probably not the norm but I really feel like it is obvious that the item is warped around the edges. I'd also like to note that, while warped, the print, where accurate, is absolutely AWESOME!

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2011 04:08 UTC]

Re: WSF Print incredibly warped! [message #37500 is a reply to message #37079 ] Fri, 28 October 2011 00:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Been about a week and I'm still waiting for some decision for what can be done about my messed up/warped print. I'm just glad that I don't have a hard deadline for the project at present.
Re: WSF Print incredibly warped! [message #37529 is a reply to message #37079 ] Fri, 28 October 2011 13:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Support hasn't got back to you yet? That's odd. I'll message Ralph to see if he can figure out what's going on.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: WSF Print incredibly warped! [message #37533 is a reply to message #37079 ] Fri, 28 October 2011 15:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear! I sent them a message and a complaint number thing was created! I just haven't heard anything back about the complaint specifically since Monday other than "when we reach a decision we'll let you know."
Re: WSF Print incredibly warped! [message #37534 is a reply to message #37533 ] Fri, 28 October 2011 15:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RalphVdB  is currently offline RalphVdB
Go to my shop
I work here
Dear William,

I have just sent you a message Wink

Shapeways International Customer Service Manager
Re: WSF Print incredibly warped! [message #37586 is a reply to message #37534 ] Sat, 29 October 2011 03:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Awesome! Thanks for sending me that note and checking up on things for me! This company is nothing if not friendly! Smile
Re: WSF Print incredibly warped! [message #38379 is a reply to message #37079 ] Fri, 11 November 2011 16:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Just wanted to update this!

The wonderful people here at Shapeways have decided to remake this item for me! I can't wait to receive it- this project is something I've wanted to put together for a while!
Re: WSF Print incredibly warped! [message #38418 is a reply to message #38379 ] Fri, 11 November 2011 21:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey, glad to hear it all worked out!

Community Manager | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Garlic Bulb hanger bag
Next Topic:Blossom heart pendant

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.