Home » Support » 3D Applications » STL file from AutoCAD
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
STL file from AutoCAD [message #403] Tue, 29 July 2008 01:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar keithmcp  is currently offline keithmcp
Go to all my models
I have a 3D model of a spaceship which is made up of multiple solids. I tried exporting it to a .stl file but that only allows one solid per file. My question is how can I get this model in the right format so that I can get a quote and print it?

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated. Very Happy
Re: STL file from AutoCAD [message #421 is a reply to message #403 ] Wed, 30 July 2008 10:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi keithmcp,

you can try two things:

1. 'Join' the separate meshes into one mesh. It doesn't matter if they overlap or even if they don't connect (although that means you'll be printing loose parts).

2. Use a boolean operation to create a 'union' of the objects.

I can't really get more specific than that I'm afraid. It really depends on how your 3d app works (which one do you use, by the way?)

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: STL file from AutoCAD [message #827 is a reply to message #421 ] Mon, 11 August 2008 15:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I am using AutoCAD 2008.

Problem solved. You were right. What I had to do was do a select all so that i would get all objects and then use the Convert to Solid command. The union command also works.

This converted the whole model to one giant solid. Once I did this I was able to export it to .stl file.

The export worked and I was able to upload without a problem.
Thanks for the tip.
Re: STL file from AutoCAD [message #3725 is a reply to message #827 ] Fri, 03 April 2009 02:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ANIMEMI  is currently offline ANIMEMI
Go to all my models
Hi kiethmcp
may I ask...

I thought AutoCAD would only handle Solids and meshes seperately. You can convert a solid to a mesh but not the other way.
Were your parts all solids?
Can you please tell me the Syntax of the command?

note: I can only use v2005.
you stated v2008.
Re: STL file from AutoCAD [message #3734 is a reply to message #3725 ] Fri, 03 April 2009 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yes all the parts of the model were solids, there were no meshes in it. I used the union command and selected all the objects in the model and it converted it to one giant solid. Please note though that the entire model (now one solid)has be in the positive xyz plane. This required me moving it as the "origin" was in the middle of the model.
File, Export, *.stl for file type

Once I did this I was finally able to create the stl file. AutoCAD does not make outputting an stl easy at all. I do not like this method as I had to create a copy to do this as having it as one solid makes changing it must harder.

AutoCAD has a 3dsout command which I hope is easier to use. I have not tried it yet because Shapeways does not accept 3ds files. Once they do i will see.

Hope that answers your questions.
icon7.gif  Re: STL file from AutoCAD [message #3735 is a reply to message #3734 ] Fri, 03 April 2009 14:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ANIMEMI  is currently offline ANIMEMI
Go to all my models
Thank you yes. I understand now.

I used to do AutoCAD for building services (10 years). I am not a mech guy but I hope to use a Vanilla autocad with scripts to create some gear parts.

Your info will help.

Oh. BTW Blender will import your 3DS file and may help your workflow.

Cheers!

Previous Topic:Blender tips'n tricks
Next Topic:3D Max - inverted normals

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.