Home » Support » 3D Printing » Minimum dimensions workaround?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3616] Sun, 29 March 2009 15:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar Jörzi  is currently offline Jörzi
Go to my shop
Hi everyone, new here.
I saw this issue was discussed briefly in another thread but I thought I'd start a dedicated thread for it.

There is apparently a requirement for a minimum bounding box size of 2x2x2 cm. Can anyone explain why this is the case?

There was an idea to rotate the model in order to get a bigger boundig box, does this affect the print direction?

Is it a good idea to make some small geometry that is too thin to print above the actual model in order to make the bounding box larger?
Re: Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3650 is a reply to message #3616 ] Mon, 30 March 2009 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi,

Actually the minimum dimension is 0.25 cm in all directions.

We cannot go lower because we have a *very* hard time to find your object within a tray. Just imagine trying to find an object of that size in a bucket of powder of 15 liters. Smile

Best regards,

Robert
Re: Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3660 is a reply to message #3650 ] Mon, 30 March 2009 16:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
I know it! You guys must hate me somtimes! I had some very small parts for a few prints. At least they were bigger than .25 cm Smile

http://www.shapeways.com/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=13075&f=photos/photo2510.jpg

-Whystler

[Updated on: Tue, 31 March 2009 15:25 UTC]

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3663 is a reply to message #3660 ] Mon, 30 March 2009 19:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Neah we do not hate you. We love your work! Cool

Cheers!

Robert
Re: Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3687 is a reply to message #3616 ] Tue, 31 March 2009 15:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jörzi  is currently offline Jörzi
Go to my shop
Thanks a lot for your feedback, you were very informative. I was making a flat piece so I'll just have to thicken it a bit...

Previous Topic:Stainless steel & bronze materials
Next Topic:Recurring problem - Too many polygons

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.