Home » Support » 3D Printing » Minimum dimensions workaround?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3616] Sun, 29 March 2009 15:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar Jörzi  is currently offline Jörzi
Go to my shop
Hi everyone, new here.
I saw this issue was discussed briefly in another thread but I thought I'd start a dedicated thread for it.

There is apparently a requirement for a minimum bounding box size of 2x2x2 cm. Can anyone explain why this is the case?

There was an idea to rotate the model in order to get a bigger boundig box, does this affect the print direction?

Is it a good idea to make some small geometry that is too thin to print above the actual model in order to make the bounding box larger?
Re: Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3650 is a reply to message #3616 ] Mon, 30 March 2009 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi,

Actually the minimum dimension is 0.25 cm in all directions.

We cannot go lower because we have a *very* hard time to find your object within a tray. Just imagine trying to find an object of that size in a bucket of powder of 15 liters. Smile

Best regards,

Robert
Re: Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3660 is a reply to message #3650 ] Mon, 30 March 2009 16:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
I know it! You guys must hate me somtimes! I had some very small parts for a few prints. At least they were bigger than .25 cm Smile

http://www.shapeways.com/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=13075&f=photos/photo2510.jpg

-Whystler

[Updated on: Tue, 31 March 2009 15:25 UTC]

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3663 is a reply to message #3660 ] Mon, 30 March 2009 19:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Neah we do not hate you. We love your work! Cool

Cheers!

Robert
Re: Minimum dimensions workaround? [message #3687 is a reply to message #3616 ] Tue, 31 March 2009 15:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jörzi  is currently offline Jörzi
Go to my shop
Thanks a lot for your feedback, you were very informative. I was making a flat piece so I'll just have to thicken it a bit...

Previous Topic:Stainless steel & bronze materials
Next Topic:Recurring problem - Too many polygons