Home » Community » It arrived! » H0 1/87 scale old footbridge in wsf
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
H0 1/87 scale old footbridge in wsf [message #36590] Thu, 13 October 2011 16:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
I received a great quality wsf print from Shapeways. The bridge is painted with black Tamiya Acrylic colour. I drybrushed brown paint to make the bridge look a bit more rusty...

index.php?t=getfile&id=11412&private=0

more and bigger pictures on the H0 foot bridge model page.

index.php?t=getfile&id=11411&private=0

edit
it's a quite small and intricate (~3cm width, ~16cm length) model based on a existing footbridge. The porosity of wsf helps a lot when painting this kind of model. For me, painting wsf material is a more enjoyable experience than painting "Frosted Ultra Detail".
I'm wondering if you could offer a "Ultra Detail White Strong and Flexible" material ?
/edit

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2011 06:52 UTC]

Re: H0 1/87 scale old footbridge in wsf [message #36640 is a reply to message #36590 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 15:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
Terrific model!! I'm really impressed with the level you achieved from wsf.
Re: H0 1/87 scale old footbridge in wsf [message #36648 is a reply to message #36640 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 19:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
That's beautiful!

Did you separate the walking surfaces from the bridge structure to make it easier to paint the parts?

What's the diameter and height of those rivets? Most of my rivets don't turn out well in WSF but I think that's because I made them too small.
Re: H0 1/87 scale old footbridge in wsf [message #36687 is a reply to message #36648 ] Sat, 15 October 2011 07:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
@ GWMT: Yes, the walking surfaces are separate parts to make them easier to paint. Smile If the bridge was in one part, I think painting would be near impossible.

The rivets are cylinders of 0.4 mm diameter/ 0.2mm height. Not all rivets printed out well on this model. I guess the rivets we can see were on the printer XY (horizontal) plane. On this plane, details are much sharper and accurate because of the precison of the laser beam.
Re: H0 1/87 scale old footbridge in wsf [message #36694 is a reply to message #36687 ] Sat, 15 October 2011 10:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
WSF is great for rusty metal, where the surface in reality has peeling paint and pitted rust WSF recreates it well.

Nice model! Smile
Re: H0 1/87 scale old footbridge in wsf [message #36797 is a reply to message #36694 ] Mon, 17 October 2011 20:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
I use cylinders instead of hemispheres for rivets, too. I made my rivets 0.25mm diameter and 0.25mm tall.

They printed fine on the top surface in the XY plane, kinda showed up on the bottom surface (the outer edges of the model don't print on the bottom face of WSF prints for some reason) and were missing (or were so fragile they got knocked off in post-print cleanup) on the sides.

Can you imagine embossing all those rivets on your bridge by hand in styrene? Not me....

Previous Topic:Stone Loader for Diorama
Next Topic:Building Blocks Ring

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.