Home » Community » Work in progress » want to print in glass but can't!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
want to print in glass but can't! [message #36533] Wed, 12 October 2011 19:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar artaic  is currently offline artaic
Go to all my models
Hello all,
I am trying to print this file in glass, but that material does not show up in the dropdown list. I checked the material requirements and everything *seems* to be in order. Any ideas for how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks!
Charlotte

• Attachment: logo-38.STL
    (Size: 137.09KB, Downloaded 44 time(s))

Re: want to print in glass but can't! [message #36535 is a reply to message #36533 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 20:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kasss_Gnarl  is currently offline Kasss_Gnarl
Go to all my models
Hi,
I opened your file in netfabb and it is telling me that it is less then the minimun 3mm thickness for printing in glass? I don't use Netfabb all that often (normally sketchup) so I am unsure if I have it set up correctly, but it was the only program that I could open your .stl in. Might be worth checking at your end to see if you need to thicken it up a bit.

Hope this helps.
Re: want to print in glass but can't! [message #36540 is a reply to message #36533 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Some of the materials have a minimum bounding box dimension of 2.5mm... glass is one of them. As long as the smallest dimension is 2.51mm or greater you should get glass as one of the materials, however when it comes to ordering your model might be rejected due to the minmum 3mm wall thickness rule for glass.

[edit] typos

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2011 21:04 UTC]

Re: want to print in glass but can't! [message #36593 is a reply to message #36540 ] Thu, 13 October 2011 16:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
I don't mean to advertise this but since I'm the person that post processes all of the glass prints I can tell you that the 3mm wall rule is violated routinely. Many parts go out of here with sectional thickness less that 1mm! I don't recommend this. Many models we print in glass have an icebergs chance in hell of surviving real world usage. A finger ring with a 1mm thick shank is unlikely to survive getting it on your finger let alone a slight bump. HEY! IT'S GLASS!

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: want to print in glass but can't! [message #36597 is a reply to message #36593 ] Thu, 13 October 2011 17:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar artaic  is currently offline artaic
Go to all my models
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I have definitely uploaded models in the past with dimensions smaller than 3mm, and had glass come up as an option.

The current model has some thin grooves, but they are so shallow that the ridges between can scarcely be called "walls," and I am not worried about them snapping off under the intended usage (glued to a wall, looking pretty, in between a bunch of other glass tiles).

I want to throw down my vote that the web tools ought to tell you the *REASON* why certain materials are not available for selection. It can be very frustrating when one model works and another very similar one doesn't.

Charlotte
Re: want to print in glass but can't! [message #36603 is a reply to message #36540 ] Thu, 13 October 2011 18:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Maybe this is the reason?

stop4stuff wrote on Wed, 12 October 2011 21:03

Some of the materials have a minimum bounding box dimension of 2.5mm... glass is one of them. As long as the smallest dimension is 2.51mm or greater you should get glass as one of the materials..

Your model has 2.03mm in one dimension.

Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 13 October 2011 18:06 UTC]

Previous Topic:V-Heart Cookie Cutter
Next Topic:How to upload full color 3d printing from 3ds max

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.