Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Milling stainless steel parts
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Milling stainless steel parts [message #9744] Tue, 09 February 2010 11:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar Nieuwendijk  is currently offline Nieuwendijk
Go to all my models
Hi everybody,

I'm about to order my first parts from shapeways, if the answer to the next question is positive. Is it possible to do any milling or machining to parts created from stainless steel?

The tolerance of the 3d printed parts is unfortunately not high enough for my application. Does anybody have any experience with machining these stainless steel parts? If this is possible, is it sufficient to add about 0.1mm to the object to be able to mill it to the right size?

Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #9753 is a reply to message #9744 ] Tue, 09 February 2010 15:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
Im not sure what will happen, maybe someone else does. But something to keep in mind is that the metal is Stainless Steel that is sintered, then infused with bronze. So its a 2 phase material of 2 somewhat softer metals, so it shouldnt be too difficult to machine. But, im not sure if you would have problems with the material breaking off in chunks or not due to the nature of a 2 phase material.

I dont know that that would happen, but is just something that ive though about, feel free to shoot me down if someone has experience machining the stainless!

Smile

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #9776 is a reply to message #9744 ] Tue, 09 February 2010 18:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

There was a piece on steel a while back...

Let me see, ah yes :
Quote:

As far as post processing the 3D prints are concerned you can weld it, machine it and drill it. If you do want to drill it, we'd advise you to use carbide drill bits.

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/273-Stainless-Steel-f or-all.html

Hope its useful !

Tip : Google finds things well on shapeways Wink
http://www.google.nl/search?q=shapeways+drilling+stainless+s teel

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #9799 is a reply to message #9776 ] Wed, 10 February 2010 09:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you both for your replies. Especially the tip of using google. Very Happy There is too much information on this site to find it directly.
As the parts needed are quite small, the best and cheapest option is probably to just try it out. Let's see what the results are if we put it in a lathe. Do you think adding 0.1mm to the dimensions is enough to result in the right thickness after machining?
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #9801 is a reply to message #9799 ] Wed, 10 February 2010 11:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Not sure what the tolerances are, but I'd go for 0.25 or even 0.5 mm myself. In small parts the cost wouldn't be that much more.
And at least you'd be sure it won't be to small...

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #9909 is a reply to message #9776 ] Sat, 13 February 2010 06:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
This material is hard and abrasive. You will absolutely need to use carbide tooling for ALL machining operations! Standard Hi Speed steel cutters and bits will give up the ghost after one or two cuts. Speeds and feeds should be lower, than as for normal stainless steel. The stainless used in SW prints is alloy 420. Which is harder and more difficult to machine than 300 series stainless. Plus the sintering process itself seems to add factors that make machining difficult. But it definitely can be done to tight tolerances.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #11754 is a reply to message #9909 ] Wed, 14 April 2010 11:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well, I finally got my parts milled. I printed the parts both in stainless steel and white/black detailed with a diameter of 5.4mm, which was machined down to 5mm with a tolerance of +0.00 and -0.02.
Working the stainless steel parts was like working with brass, so no problems at all. The same holds for the detailed material. Very easy to work with and a perfect surface finish.
For my applications, the tolerance of the 3d printing is way too much, but combining it with some machining looks to be a vey promising and fast production method.
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #12464 is a reply to message #11754 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar qkarmark  is currently offline qkarmark
Go to all my models
Congrats.... I think the community would love to see photos (before and after if possible)?

was it a solid piece (rod) or thin-walled (pipe) model etc?

thanks for sharing Smile
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #18280 is a reply to message #12464 ] Thu, 23 September 2010 22:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HollowPoint  is currently offline HollowPoint
Go to all my models
Greetings from Arizona:

I was just looking around the internet for 3D Printers that will print metal objects when I stumbled onto this site and this particular thread.

In regard to milling a printed stainless steel part; I was wondering if a person could print a bullet-mold out of one of the metals available for printing?

If so, is the finish of the parts (in this case, two halves of a metal bullet mold) so rough that it would need to be polished in order to get it to the exact dimensions I was looking for?

Also, what kind of heat can these printed metal parts withstand?

When casting lead bullets, my melting pot can reach about 800 degrees. Will this type of heat cause the printed metal part to decompose over time?

Right now it's a toss up between the price of a CNC Mill and corresponding tooling or, if the technology is accurate enough, the price of a new 3D Metal Printer.

I'm wanting to upgrade from manual milling machines and metal lathes to CNC machines; however, if what I'm wanting to build can be "3D Printed" accurately, then CNC machines won't be necessary.

Thanks.
HollowPoint

Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #18586 is a reply to message #18280 ] Thu, 30 September 2010 16:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Yes,
you would need to machine the mold surfaces to finished tolerances. The material itself will withstand hi temp, at least up to the melting point of the bronze component of the printed metal. Unprotected the material will start to form fire scale at around 1000 F. It can be hard soldered with silver materials that flow at 1300F. Remember this material is NOT pure stainless, rather a composite of 60% alloy 420 SS which is infiltrated with a bronze alloy during the sintering process. And regardless of what an earlier post said about "working like brass" this is not the case. It is a bitch to machine and definitely requires carbide tooling and slow feed rates.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #36456 is a reply to message #12464 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 02:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SEIZMICdesign  is currently offline SEIZMICdesign
Go to my shop
Yes, this is good news! post some Pics!

imagination. possibility. reality.
Re: Milling stainless steel parts [message #36494 is a reply to message #18586 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 11:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
I have had pretty good experience with both carbide, and diamond blades on steel prints. Would rather mill from a block of steel though as it is easier and cheaper.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2011 11:26 UTC]

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/

Previous Topic:Molds and resin castings
Next Topic:Frosted Detail and Spraypaint (Also, Material Info Wiki?)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.