Home » Community » It arrived! » Silver Crown Ring - too bright?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36375] Mon, 10 October 2011 22:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
Hi,

I've tried the "silver" material for the first time. The details are really great compared to stainless steel! Smile
The only bad thing was, that I'm not very happy with the "bright" look of the standard silver. In my eyes, it looks cheap and not valuable like it should be.
I guess it would be much better if the deeper parts are dark. This certainly happens all by itself when using the ring a lot, cause it gets oxidised after a while.

To get this effect instantly, I've used electrolysis to get a "used look".

http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/299286/photos/photo52336.jpg

The original "silver" ring is on the right. The left ring is the one with the "electrolysis finishing".
I'm kind of happy now and I'll certainly use the silver material again!

If you want to try this for your own and if you need some hints... just send me a message. There are also a lot of links in the web how to do this.
All you need is a glass, water, salt, wire and a 12 volt dc power supply. Wink

Michael

[Updated on: Mon, 10 October 2011 22:30 UTC]

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36379 is a reply to message #36375 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 00:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
The darker one looks great. I remember someone else on this forum once recommended Blacken-It, which apparently does the same thing.
http://www.micromark.com/Blacken-It-4-fl-oz,7267.html
Looks like you've got a good solution already though.

bobd
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36390 is a reply to message #36379 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 03:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Cool

Posted it on the blog, I am a little scared to ask you for a tutorial as I fear it may be on the dangerous side Smile

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36414 is a reply to message #36390 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 13:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for adding it to the blog!
The technique is pretty harmless by using a low voltage power supply. Worst case, the power supply could be damaged by a short circuit but it's in no way dangerous. Keep the glass of water away from the power socket where you plugged in the power supply and everything is fine. Wink
I would say it's like drinking a glass of water and charging a phone at the same time... I guess not very dangerous. Wink
I ll post a tutorial in the "Post Production Techniques" forum in the next few days. Feel free to delete it, if I m wrong about the safety.
Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36416 is a reply to message #36375 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 14:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Maybe an "at your own risk" tag is necessary.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36417 is a reply to message #36414 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 14:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
ha, sounds fine to me, the site I found a tutorial on was more dangerous than the process with a bounty of pop-ups..

It would be great if you could share.

Thanks

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36438 is a reply to message #36375 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 20:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
Looks cool! My guess is : Dissolve baking soda in a plastic container of water. Wrap 1 wire around the ring and connect to negative of the battery/power supply and submerge in the water. And stick the end of the other wire connected to the positive on the terminal and submerge in the water without touching the ring.

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36439 is a reply to message #36438 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Roofoo,
yes, thats almost it. Wink Make sure to connect the silver ring to the positive wire, not the negative!
I ve connected the other wire (negative) to a peace of metal, like a spoon and put both in the soda water. It works in seconds,depending on the power of the power supply.
Its really easy and brings great results.
I ll make a few photos and put all together to a tutorial so everybody can try.
Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36440 is a reply to message #36375 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 21:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Those are some really great results. I would call this safe enough for kids, but as Micheal says, you are going to want a current-limited power supply. Many similar online tutorials suggest a lead-acid battery, like a car battery, as an alternative 12-volt supply, and that can be dangerous. Short-circuiting batteries can create sparks or a fire. Rapid electrolysis can generate hydrogen, and obviously the battery is filled with acid. Let's have fun but be careful!

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36461 is a reply to message #36439 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 03:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar archenemy76  is currently offline archenemy76
Go to my shop
Love the finish on the darker ring. Is it possible to create this effect on other metals like stainless steel?

archetypez.etsy.com
www.archetypez.com
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36537 is a reply to message #36461 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 20:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It works on stainless steel too, but the color is different. It's more like green rust but not bad at all.
Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36612 is a reply to message #36537 ] Thu, 13 October 2011 21:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I ve posted a tutorial in the "post production techniques" forum. I hope its useful if someone wants to try the magic of electrolysis. Wink
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6714&a mp;start=0&

Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36644 is a reply to message #36375 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Folks, you really don't have to go messing around with liquid and electricity to get this effect. Simple oxidation and subsequent polishing of highlights will do the same thing. There are two ways to do this, the first I've done and the second I learned about here on the SW forums, I believe, but haven't yet tried.

1) Use Liver of Sulphur (or Sulfer) - do a search on the 'net for instructions.

2) MUCH easier: Take a couple of hard-boiled eggs, break them up a bit and put into a see-thru airtight container with the silver. Check frequently and you should soon see the silver darkening. Once you have it where you want it remove and rinse in water to stop further oxidation. Polish highlights, as above.

Edit: If I had taken the time to read the rest of the Blog that brought me here I would have seen this already discussed!

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2011 17:02 UTC]

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Silver Crown Ring - too bright? [message #36645 is a reply to message #36644 ] Fri, 14 October 2011 17:44 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
As told before, this technique is safe, but if you are not familiar with terms like "volt" and "ampere" you should probably use boiled eggs.
Michael

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2011 17:45 UTC]

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de

Previous Topic:Porcupine Crayon Holder
Next Topic:24-Cell

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.