Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Complete newbie needs some advice
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Complete newbie needs some advice [message #35919] Wed, 05 October 2011 10:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar Brigand  is currently offline Brigand
Go to all my models
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to teach myself some simple 3D design using free software and tutorials. It's harder than it looks!

I've created a basic shape which I would like to get printed, but it has two holes through it and I don't know how to get rid of them.

Would anybody be able to explain to me what I need to do in order to make it into a single, solid object? If you could point me in the direction of a basic online tutorial or book which would cover it that would be great! (I've currently got blender and meshlab on my computer)

Thanks, Brigand

• Attachment: VNcube1.stl
    (Size: 51.25KB, Downloaded 51 time(s))

Re: Complete newbie needs some advice [message #35922 is a reply to message #35919 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 11:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Brigand,

Welcome to Shapeways! Smile

In NetFabb Basic, it looks like you have the parts (shells) that make up the model just butted up against each other, ideally you need to overlap the parts a bit. Accutrans3D confirms some edges are shared by 3 or more polygons.

Hope this gives you an insight on how to fix your model, but if you need any more help, just ask.

Cheers,
Paul
Re: Complete newbie needs some advice [message #35923 is a reply to message #35919 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 11:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you Paul!

I'll try moving the edges till they overlap, i think blender will then treat it as a single object (single manifold?) and see what that does.
Re: Complete newbie needs some advice [message #36106 is a reply to message #35923 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 05:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
no blender will not automatically treat this object as a single manifold... i have rebuilt the object and left your old one in there for comparison...

i lowered the polycount- because there was no need for it- but it could be lowered quite a bit more. if you feel it necessary you can use the decimate tool in blender to lower it more...

if you are wondering how i did it i can tell you but it might get a little long winded... it took me about 20 min. but that is because there was alot of polys to account for.

cheers

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: Complete newbie needs some advice [message #36124 is a reply to message #36106 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 11:03 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thank you, Chris!

That is exactly what I was trying to do!

Out of interest, did you start with the model I'd hacked together, or did you build it from scratch? It looks to me like you've used a different (much better) method of construction to get the curved surfaces that they way i was trying to do it.

I just need to get the thing printed out now!

Regards,

Ben

Previous Topic:Making a Model
Next Topic:I have flat relief surface models, and untextured objects, need hollowed, textured models.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.