Home » Support » 3D Printing » Best Material for Creating a Silicone Mold
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Best Material for Creating a Silicone Mold [message #34609] Mon, 19 September 2011 19:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar maiamerav  is currently offline maiamerav
Go to all my models
I've been using another 3D printing company for a while, but they are extremely expensive, and I'm not super happy with their work. I would like to try Shapeways, but I'm a little confused about the materials--I need a material that will serve well for a good cold mold: the smoothest possible surface and best accuracy. Please advise.

Thanks,

Maia
Re: Best Material for Creating a Silicone Mold [message #35989 is a reply to message #34609 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 21:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar coolbutpointless  is currently offline coolbutpointless
Go to all my models
I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that the smoothest for molding would be the Polished WSF that they offer.

Personally, I would just get regular WSF and primer, wetsand, primer, wetsand, primer, wetsand, glosscoat, and then mold. Unless it's a tiny tiny part I'd think this would be the best way, albeit with more hand tooling needed.

Previous Topic:Cost for a human head?
Next Topic:Orientation

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.