Home » Community » Work in progress » Flexed Text Ring
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Flexed Text Ring [message #35903] Wed, 05 October 2011 03:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar MatarazzoDesigns  is currently offline MatarazzoDesigns
Go to my shop
Hello, I'm trying to make a ring of flexed text. The line of text (and decoration) are to be flexed around so that they form a ring(think ring poem but fancier). My problem is that Solidworks will not let me flex the model to the degree that I need.

Here is a screenshot so you have an idea what is going on.index.php?t=getfile&id=11269&private=0

I have used the flex tool before, but nothing this complex. Does anyone have any ideas to trick Solidworks into doing this, or perhaps a way to flex the flat model in a different program (Sketchup?) I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Dan

• Attachment: Iso-view2.jpg
    (Size: 72.83KB, Downloaded 353 time(s))

Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35905 is a reply to message #35903 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 05:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
What is the error message you are getting?

Sometimes it fails if there is too much geometry?

Duann Scott,
Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35909 is a reply to message #35903 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 08:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't know Solidworks, but is it possible for you to create a path and the conform the text/decoration to the path? I use this method in Imagine to create items like my End = Beginning Mobius pendant.

Paul
Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35957 is a reply to message #35903 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 16:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the quick replies!

@duann, my error is "Self intersecting surface could not be created" which pretty much means I can't do it this way.

@stop4stuff, I'm pretty sure Solidworks doesn't have an option like that. I've only recently heard of Imagine, is it easy to use?
Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35959 is a reply to message #35903 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I don't use SolidWorks, but it is getting more similar to the software I do us (KeyCreator) The problem is when you bend it, it overlaps. (the length of your text exceeds the circumference) Have you tried cutting it in half, doing one half at a time, and joining the result? I know in KC I use the bend command, which I'm assuming is similar to the command you are using.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35960 is a reply to message #35959 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
My goal was to create a spiral ring, so the overlapping would be necessary. Unfortunately if I made it small enough to fit the circumference of a 5.5 US ring size I think it would be unprintable.

Is there anyway I could send the model to Shapeways and have it tested for printability (without uploading it to my shop)?
Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35961 is a reply to message #35960 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
MatarazzoDesigns wrote on Wed, 05 October 2011 17:06

My goal was to create a spiral ring, so the overlapping would be necessary. Unfortunately if I made it small enough to fit the circumference of a 5.5 US ring size I think it would be unprintable.

Is there anyway I could send the model to Shapeways and have it tested for printability (without uploading it to my shop)?

That's why I suggest cutting it in half, so that one rolled section doesn't overlap itself. Roll it in 2 sections, then join it so that it doesn't create an entity with overlapping geometry, it removes intersecting geometry (I know it makes sense that it would do this rather than kick off an error, but that's the way it is)

I believe the software of choice for checking printability is http://netfabb.com/basic.php With that you can check your mesh. What material were you looking at printing in?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35963 is a reply to message #35961 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, that's what i figured I would need to do. I'd probably have to break it into 3 sections and actually do some math to get it right in Solidworks.

I think I'll print in WSF. That way I can build it a bit small so it will expand to stay snug. Also then I could bring it to Roni casting and have them cast one in silver if it fits well enough.
Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35981 is a reply to message #35963 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 19:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HenryAlfredo  is currently offline HenryAlfredo
Go to my shop
I achieved it in 3dsmax9. Object with a Path to ... [forgot exact name] modifier, assigned to a spiral. I used the technique for my cygnus ring. I believe this modifier and a spiral generator have been in max for ages. Also set the right 3d orientation of the object to be bent to a path.

Just make sure your object has enough particles to 'bend' gracefully.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2011 20:05 UTC]

Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #35983 is a reply to message #35957 ] Wed, 05 October 2011 20:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Imagine isn't that intuitive, but there is a comprehensive manual with working examples (it stems from the days of the Amiga, & iirc the windows version hasn't had any updates for 10 years.) Having said that, once you get the hang of things & get used to using Accutrans3D for file conversion, modelling for printing is fairly straight forward.

Creating a spiral path in Imagine would involve one axis at the correct angle per step repeated 8 times per 360 degress, then all the axis formed into a path... not at all interactive but fairly easy to do.

Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #36453 is a reply to message #35983 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 01:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
Solidworks is lousy with surfaces, and even worse with text. And then you try to twist text with a surface function? For this reason I'd recommend looking at a different program.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: Flexed Text Ring [message #36458 is a reply to message #36453 ] Wed, 12 October 2011 03:30 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Yes, it was difficult to do but I got it. I had to separate my "strip" of text into 3 equal parts, and then flex(bend) them all to the same degree. From there I just lined the parts back up and voila! a spiral ring of text.

This image shows the 3 sections and the final result. index.php?t=getfile&id=11391&private=0 Now I just need to work on the thickness of some areas so I can print it!

Previous Topic:How sturdy will this be?
Next Topic:V-Heart Cookie Cutter

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.