Home » Support » 3D Design » tube and rod rotation clearance
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
tube and rod rotation clearance [message #35210] Mon, 26 September 2011 23:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar thomashuang.net  is currently offline thomashuang.net
Go to my shop
Hello,
i have a design with 2 separate parts that need to rotate freely one inside the other, like a rod and tube, on black strong flexible. I was wondering what is the clearance to allow for this? I can't have too much play, it needs to be tight but rotate without much resistance. I was thinking something like 0.15mm all around? or would i need more?
Thanks
Re: tube and rod rotation clearance [message #35224 is a reply to message #35210 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 06:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
If the moving part is to be printed in situ, you're going to be looking at 0.7-0.9mm gap, but using a few design technoqies you can bring the gap down to 0.5mm, more info here; http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/designing_mechanical_part s_3d_printing_the_whoosh

However, if the parts are to be printed seperately 0.1mm all round gap would allow for print tolerances, but if you're willing to do some post production work, you can make it 0mm and adjust as needed with tools.

Re: tube and rod rotation clearance [message #35227 is a reply to message #35224 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 07:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
These are 2 separately printed parts. I've just submitted a job with 0.2mm, but I'll try 0.1mm next time. thanks
Re: tube and rod rotation clearance [message #35831 is a reply to message #35227 ] Tue, 04 October 2011 05:34 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I just got my parts which are seperate with 0.2mm clearance.

In will insert but not turn. There are parallel edges, 90 degree corners, and 270 degree corners. There was enough clearance for the parallel edges and 270 degree corners and probably 0.15mm would have been enough, but the 90 degree corners seem to be expanded, and I might need 0.3mm.

I had to shave the inside corners to get it to rotate but there's still a lot of friction.index.php?t=getfile&id=11263&private=0

• Attachment: IMAG0437.jpg
    (Size: 88.35KB, Downloaded 121 time(s))

Previous Topic:Can i give seperate guideline for color information, instead of using *.wrl file?
Next Topic:How to get detailed check?