Home » Community » It arrived! » second tyre tread ring. and cross
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35515] Fri, 30 September 2011 13:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
I just received my latest prints, really happy with both.
I put the ring in a small cup of bleach for 5 min then polish and light sanding with 800 grit.

index.php?t=getfile&id=11215&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=11216&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=11217&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=11218&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_8105.jpg
    (Size: 322.31KB, Downloaded 412 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_8110.jpg
    (Size: 329.47KB, Downloaded 415 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_8092.jpg
    (Size: 233.60KB, Downloaded 411 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_8097.jpg
    (Size: 311.26KB, Downloaded 412 time(s))

Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35527 is a reply to message #35515 ] Fri, 30 September 2011 16:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey leo, the Tyre Ring is too cool!

I showed it some love in this week's Friday Finds. Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35542 is a reply to message #35515 ] Fri, 30 September 2011 18:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Very nice... Bleach - really? What is that supposed to do to the s/steel? I like the gold-plated cross. I gave up having any plated prints made because I kept getting little "bits" left on the model and once plated you can't exactly grind them off! But that looks really clean.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35543 is a reply to message #35542 ] Fri, 30 September 2011 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DarrenAbbey  is currently offline DarrenAbbey
Go to my shop
The bleach causes rapid rusting. In this case, it caused the reddish patina you see in the grooves.

Acid treatment would have produced a similar effect.
Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35562 is a reply to message #35515 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 00:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Cool. Sort of like Liver of Sulfur used on silver...

Glenn

Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35564 is a reply to message #35562 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 01:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The bleach oxidizes the silver, turning it almost black depending on how long you leave it.. another technique is leaving the silver in an air-tight container with some hard boiled eggs, you can get some amazing gold and brown patinas with the eggs.
thanks for the compliments people and thanks Ana
Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35565 is a reply to message #35564 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 01:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Oh and BTW the ring is silver not steel:)
Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35568 is a reply to message #35515 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 05:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You learn new stuff every day... i really thought it was stainless steel.

Do you have sample pictures of the eggs process on SS?

Btw, I had to look at the EXIF of your pics.. Canon 400D - Awesome shots!

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35570 is a reply to message #35568 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 05:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok.
Here is a pendant of pure silver I made using PMC.
the piece was was put in a container with two very hard over boiled eggs (crushed up a little) for a short time, I cant remember for how long, but i know i kept checking to see the oxidation progress, when it got to a point i was happy with i took it out and rinsed it. and then gave it a light polish with silver polish (bicarb work ok too).
As you can see the sulfur from the eggs changed the colour from silver to golds to browns and then to blues.. getting just the gold colour can be hard as you have to time it just right... also the gold colour is a really nice yellow and looks almost like actual gold:)
I would really recommend doing it this way as the silver oxidation chemicals can be toxic and smell very bad and have a short shelf life.

index.php?t=getfile&id=11230&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_8040.jpg
    (Size: 523.15KB, Downloaded 307 time(s))

Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35581 is a reply to message #35515 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 12:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Time to get rid of my Liver of Sulfur! That is a great tip using hard-boiled eggs. Nice use of PMC by the way. Below is a PMC ring I oxidised with LofS...

Glenn

index.php?t=getfile&id=11236&private=0

Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35586 is a reply to message #35581 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 13:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar liori  is currently offline liori
Go to all my models
Hi Leo
Great work and great pictures.
Do you have pictures of the ring before putting it into bleach?
I'm wondering how the surface looks like without any process done on it.
Do you know if the surface of Stainless Steel would look the same?
I would like to make a Stainless Steel ring but I'm not sure that the surface would be smooth enough to wear.

Thanks allot
Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35588 is a reply to message #35515 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 14:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Perhaps I can answer some of those questions, Liori. To my knowledge the bleach and egg oxidising would have no effect on stainless steel... As for the surface being smooth enough to wear, yes it is. There are some fantastic rings that people have made here on Shapeways. And with a bit of work they can even be polished up to look (almost) like silver.

Just keep in mind that some people have a skin reaction with s/steel (my wife and son do, but I don't) and the skin can blacken under the ring. At least that is with the s/steel here on Shapeways - I have no idea about the s/s found in jewellery stores.

Glenn

Re: second tyre tread ring. and cross [message #35622 is a reply to message #35588 ] Sat, 01 October 2011 21:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways' "stainless steel" is stainless steel and bronze. Skin problem is with the copper of the bronze, and allergies... maybe the bronze has some extra metals thrown in. Nickel?

Previous Topic:Python Class Cruiser in WSF
Next Topic:New silver piece arrived!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.