After weeks of waiting my model arrived! I made the test model in WSF and it turned out better than I had hoped. The resolution was a bit rough, but that was to be expected. Some parts were missing holes I had inscribed, but that was easily remedied with a dremel tool. For the satelites, the arms fell off in creation because the WSF was too thin (wire) which I need to correct for the final version. The stand I made for it in SW also was a bit of a bust. The transparent plastic ended up being bendy and could not support the weight of the whole ship.
So the satellites come off and should be posable just like the video game, they also lock back into the ship. The locking mechanism is too small, so I have to make it more robust for the next printing. I'm thinking UFD next time, with a better designed locking system.