Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Material Details Inconsistent?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material Details Inconsistent? [message #3103] Tue, 24 February 2009 16:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar loonsbury  is currently offline loonsbury
Go to all my models
Details

The details don't list a minimum wall-thickness for anything other than Cream Robust. Is there a set thickness we must meet for each material, or is this arbitrary? If there is, can you add that to the specifications?
Re: Material Details Inconsistent? [message #3116 is a reply to message #3103 ] Thu, 26 February 2009 09:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Well spotted, we haven't added that information to the page.

I will do so.

The wall thickness does depend on the material.

As a general rule the easiest thing to do is to keep all walls thicker than 2mm.

If you go below this you run the risk of your model being to delicate to print, clean or ship. There is also an increased chance of production errors if you use lower wall thicknesses.

Of course Cream Robust can have walls of 1.4mm and White, Strong & Flexible can have 1mm walls. Definitely do not go below this!

There is a tutorial on the subject here:
http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/3dprintingminimumwallthic knesstutorial

Joris

icon3.gif  Re: Material Details Inconsistent? [message #3519 is a reply to message #3116 ] Wed, 25 March 2009 20:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Hi,

Along with the minimum wall thickness, would it be possible, please, to add to the material option page the (now famous) "void" thickness, that is the minimum clearance for two moving objects not to be fused, depending on the material?
I lot of people seems to have done tests on that for you, so making the result easily available would avoid making again those kind of mistakes...
Thanks!

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:About the lovely new inverted normals check
Next Topic:Shop page customizing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.