Home » Community » General Discussion » Shapeways and Blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways and Blender [message #34659] Tue, 20 September 2011 12:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar markpicone  is currently offline markpicone
Go to my shop
I'm using Blender, I created a model and added color to it but I don't have an export format for it . Does anyone use Blender that give me the appropriate steps to create a model that will be printed using color sandstone?

mark
Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #34663 is a reply to message #34659 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 12:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
You mean something like an VRML79 Export Extension or the Wavefront OBJ Importer/Exporter for Blender ?
Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #34664 is a reply to message #34663 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
yea, it says in the instructions to export as a VRML for the color sandstone material but the newer version doesn't have that format. It has;
.stl
.3DS
.fbx
.obj
.x3d

I modeled a pretty simple object that has 5 basic colors of the rainbow. I'm trying to post it to my shop to offer it as a color piece.

Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #34667 is a reply to message #34664 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 13:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Try the Wavefront OBJ extension.
Shapeways should accept OBJ files,
and for some reason I don't get the VRML extension to work. :-/
Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #34670 is a reply to message #34667 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 14:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok, Have you created a color sandstone piece recently?
Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #34677 is a reply to message #34670 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 14:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The new design rules for colored sandstone killed my latest effords, the pieces are to small, and I have to start from scratch. Sad

But verdeorco just received some impressive colored rings.
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6444&a mp;start=0&

Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #34830 is a reply to message #34677 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 19:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
I don't know Blender well so I can't help with why VRML isn't available. But I do know the backend supports color in both the VRML and X3D file formats. So try X3D.

Director 3D Tools
Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #34834 is a reply to message #34659 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, thanks. .x3d was the answer. Using UVs that is. I thought you can do 'per face' coloring to save from the whole uv stuff and zipping files. I can't get Blender to display colors using that method. For now I'll just do UVs. It's supposed to give you more detail which is always good:)
Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #34835 is a reply to message #34659 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 20:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Well if you split the map yourself, you could break it so that each side was it's own element in the UV map. I know it's possible in blender, but I never had the patients to figure it out Razz

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Shapeways and Blender [message #35152 is a reply to message #34659 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 17:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
I have minimal experience with Blender but I do know that it doesn't ship with all extensions available - you have to go somewhere on the Blender site and do something (helpful, ain't I?) and choose what extensions you'd like to enable.

Or perhaps it was just a matter of accessing some part of the programme itself to enable them...?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Making molds
Next Topic:quick question, how many polys total?