Home » Community » Work in progress » Help joining small helicopter blades
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help joining small helicopter blades [message #35049] Sat, 24 September 2011 16:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
I need advice to join several small helicopter blades with sprues or a better method. The attached image shows the shape and size of each unit and the old method using a "jail" (in red) before Shapeways said that it was inadequate for the Detail material (printing failures, cleaning problems). Joining between 10 to 24 blades using Detail material is the objective.
Maybe making a grid joining the blades tips could be the solution?

index.php?t=getfile&id=11147&private=0

Re: Help joining small helicopter blades [message #35194 is a reply to message #35049 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 20:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Consider doing something like this.
index.php?t=getfile&id=11178&private=0
Flaring the sprue out from 1mm to 1.3mm helps force the cutting tool against the blade for a smoother final surface.

I like this flush-cuttiing tool for this work:

http://www.michtoy.com/item-MCK-82393-Sprue_Cutter_Despruing _Tweezer.html

Re: Help joining small helicopter blades [message #35306 is a reply to message #35049 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 10:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
jasolo wrote on Sat, 24 September 2011 16:22

I need advice to join several small helicopter blades with sprues or a better method. The attached image shows the shape and size of each unit and the old method using a "jail" (in red) before Shapeways said that it was inadequate for the Detail material (printing failures, cleaning problems). Joining between 10 to 24 blades using Detail material is the objective.
Maybe making a grid joining the blades tips could be the solution?

It seems to me that this is exactly the sort of situation were you need to talk to the guys who are running the machines. So that you can work out a solution that causes them least problems and doesn't compromise your design too much.
I would agree with you that the tips of the blades should spued together. I would suggest 1.5 or 2mm vertical wires joined to the tips of each blade by a thinner wire, 0.8 or 1mm should be OK. This should keep the stack stable while it is being processed.

Bill Bedford
Re: Help joining small helicopter blades [message #35330 is a reply to message #35306 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 15:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
GWMT: I would like to avoid special tools for the post-processing. They are for a lego-like game community, so cutters and scissors are the tools in mind. Anyway the flaring shape is a good idea.

I haven't mentioned that the blades once mounted are seen from the top, so it's better to put the sprues below, at the tips or at the central pivot.

BillBedford: I see, but the extra vertical wires maybe should be joined between them for more stability?

After your ideas, I'm thinking on blades inverted between them so sprues would be on the "hidden" side, but I don't have very clear the final disposition, perhaps as planes of blades with each plane with blades joined at the tips.
Re: Help joining small helicopter blades [message #35340 is a reply to message #35330 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 16:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
jasolo wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 15:01

BillBedford: I see, but the extra vertical wires maybe should be joined between them for more stability?
You can, but there is always the danger that when this extra sprue is cut, it will distort enough to damage the blades

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2011 16:31 UTC]

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:Stainless Steel Accuracy - Puzzle Ring
Next Topic:Successful trapping of polishing media!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.