Home » Community » General Discussion » Sketchup Settings
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sketchup Settings [message #34217] Tue, 13 September 2011 17:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
I am trying to get my sketchup settings set so that anything I building there will make a fairly clean transfer to Shapeways. Under Model Info -> Units there are several settings that I believe could make developing 3D prints in Sketchup much nicer...

Has someone built a Sketchup Shapeways Template?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks...

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
Re: Sketchup Settings [message #34218 is a reply to message #34217 ] Tue, 13 September 2011 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
From what I've heard, Sketch-up exports in inches. I did read recently that this may have been fixed in the latest update. Just something to watch out for.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Sketchup Settings [message #34238 is a reply to message #34218 ] Wed, 14 September 2011 02:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ceramicwombat  is currently offline ceramicwombat
Go to my shop
In SketchUp, go to Window>Preferences>Template and you can choose one with the unit you want. I use millimeters and design everything 100 times larger than the finished model. SketchUp does not handle tiny models well for whatever reason, and creating your model at the larger scale and reducing it later makes things a bit easier.
Re: Sketchup Settings [message #34981 is a reply to message #34217 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 13:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Hello.
I use SketchUp all the time.
I use this PlugIn to export as a stl file.

To export, all you need to do is select all of the model, click Tools>Export to DXF or STL.
A pop up window will open, I use Export Units>Millimetres>Ok>Export to DXF options>STL>Save as "model".stl

Hope this helps, Tom.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2011 18:14 UTC]

Re: Sketchup Settings [message #35279 is a reply to message #34981 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hldevore  is currently offline hldevore
Go to all my models
Not sure what SketchUp version you were using but...Version 8.0.4811 which is the current on 9/27/2011 in Windows version EXPORT is under FILE menu..and options are only 3D Model, 2D Graphic and a pitch to get you to spend $495! for SketchUp Pro!!!!

When you choose 3D Model it gives you the option to export as a COLLADA file (*.dae) or as a Google Earth kmz file...

I'm hoping COLLADA gets me to where I want to be...ugggg... or maybe I am off to Blender?
Re: Sketchup Settings [message #35281 is a reply to message #35279 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 22:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Collada should upload fine, and I think they fixed the unit conversion problem. If you need to rescale, convert format, or do other adjustments, you can import that file into Blender or Meshlab.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Sketchup Settings [message #35282 is a reply to message #35281 ] Tue, 27 September 2011 23:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hldevore  is currently offline hldevore
Go to all my models
Yes thanks! the Collada uploaded fine! though I forgot to check dimensions I think it worked. will post back if didnt
Re: Sketchup Settings [message #40070 is a reply to message #34217 ] Sat, 10 December 2011 17:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Patrick Kniesler  is currently offline Patrick Kniesler
Go to all my models
Howdy!
version: 8.0.4811
This is a file that I have made, which is untested... so far.

EDIT: it is an .SKB - a template file for making sketchup models. I have experience making these, my first experience sending in models to a 3D printer is hopefully going to get here by Xmas. This file is a response to the original request for a template file.

• Attachment: Shapeways.skb
    (Size: 7.49KB, Downloaded 28 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 11 December 2011 06:02 UTC]

Previous Topic:Any Seattle area 3D Hobbyists?
Next Topic:Rejections for previously printed models

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.