Home » Shapeways » Official Announcements » New Product Detail Page
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New Product Detail Page [message #34322] Fri, 16 September 2011 02:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey guys,

I'm sitting here at the Shapeways NYC office with our dev team at a pretty absurd hour of the evening. In the next few hours, they're going to be pushing a new release to the live site -- a reworked version of the Product Detail Page and other bug and performance fixes.

This is the first official release overseen by Josh, our new VP of Engineering. He's hell bent on taking the less-than-stellar track record of our tech team and turning it into a shining example. So don't go easy on him, let's hear what you think. Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

icon6.gif  Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34323 is a reply to message #34322 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 05:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jlevine  is currently offline jlevine
Go to my shop
I work here
Hello Shapeways Community - it's great to meet you.

As I write this our dedicated developers are merging and deploying the fixes for the last critical bug. I have pictures. Razz

index.php?t=getfile&id=11004&private=0

I would like to say, on behalf of the team - here we are. We accept the challenge. I know we are not perfect, but we know how to temper steel. We will get better and better. Help us. Stay positive and let's grow together.

Best,
Josh

• Attachment: photo(3).JPG
    (Size: 112.58KB, Downloaded 725 time(s))

VP of Engineering | Shapeways
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34327 is a reply to message #34322 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 06:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Made a short list of stuff in the feedback section - http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6411&a mp;start=0&

Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34329 is a reply to message #34327 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 06:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
Added my own, rather longer, feedback in stop4stuff's topic. Figured it was better placed in the Feedback forum than on the announcement post.

EDIT: Grammar fix.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2011 06:54 UTC]

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34332 is a reply to message #34322 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 07:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks for the major update guys! Very Happy

I have added my point-by-point feedback so far to the thread by stop4stuff too.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34341 is a reply to message #34322 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 09:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar shim  is currently offline shim
Go to my shop
Hi! Today the product design page has changed and I can not access the mark-up fields anymore. Does anybody else have the same?
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34342 is a reply to message #34341 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 09:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
yep, list of stuff here;
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6411&a mp;start=0&
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34368 is a reply to message #34342 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 14:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
The new layout looks a lot nicer and once the bugs are worked out(come on seriously you missed US dollars being important?) it will be a million times better then the old interface especially for changing pricing of products.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
icon13.gif  Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34397 is a reply to message #34322 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 21:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
Yah, it looks pretty, but a lot of the navigation has become 'mystery meat' (i.e. unclear, really unclear), and a lot of functionality is missing (deleting the model, shop categories), and some is just plain buggy (unable to edit long descriptions of models).

This needs to be taken away and reworked ASAP, but hey, they released it on a Friday, so we'll have to wait until at least Monday before they even start working on it.

Gets two thumbs down from me. Mad
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34412 is a reply to message #34322 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 03:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
Are downloads not working? I ticked the allow download box, downloaded my model but I get an invalid .stl error. I get this error in netfabb, meshlab and blender, so it can't be software specific. Help??
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34413 is a reply to message #34412 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 03:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
make sure you use netfabb. i know netfabb atleast will give strange results if you tell windows to pass direct.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34414 is a reply to message #34322 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 03:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Netfabb doesn't work either. I have old copies of downloads that are working fine, it's only been since the new layout rolled out. Anyone else unable to download your models? I actually set aside this weekend to work on my unfinished models, I'm so bummed! Crying or Very Sad
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34416 is a reply to message #34322 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 04:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coolbutpointless  is currently offline coolbutpointless
Go to all my models
I miss the delete model button.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2011 05:11 UTC]

Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34422 is a reply to message #34322 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 06:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Selwy  is currently offline Selwy
Go to my shop
Hi,
I have uploaded a model 2 days ago, a rather big one, it was already "expensive". This morning I have noticed that it costs almost 20 € more than yesterday (VAT not included). Did they change the material costs for "white strong and flexible"?

Cheers,
Selwy

www.ben-godi.com www.selwy.com
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34424 is a reply to message #34422 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 07:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Feedback thread updated.

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6411&a mp;start=0&
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34431 is a reply to message #34414 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 09:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
cadalu wrote on Sat, 17 September 2011 03:45

Netfabb doesn't work either. I have old copies of downloads that are working fine, it's only been since the new layout rolled out. Anyone else unable to download your models? I actually set aside this weekend to work on my unfinished models, I'm so bummed! Crying or Very Sad

+1

A model I fixed with netfabb then uploaded as a downloadable model for a customer is now an invalid stl file in netfabb.

Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34563 is a reply to message #34322 ] Mon, 19 September 2011 06:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ellipz  is currently offline Ellipz
Go to my shop
the new layout is terrible and it seems too me price calculation is also changed in a terrible way...
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #34868 is a reply to message #34563 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 11:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop
The new layout is a MAJOR step back from where things had evolved so far.

Distressing....

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
www.facebook.com/byInnovoDesign
Re: New Product Detail Page [message #35838 is a reply to message #34414 ] Tue, 04 October 2011 07:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lastZED  is currently offline lastZED
Go to my shop

Netfabb doesn't work either. I have old copies of downloads that are working fine, it's only been since the new layout rolled out. Anyone else unable to download your models?

I have the same issue, and not just in NetFabb (Blender will not import these new shapeways download files, either).

For me shapeways tries to save the file as a zip. The zip wouldn't open. So I tell the computer the file is an stl. The stl wouldn't open.

I've downloaded from shapeways plenty of times pre-update, no problem. I'm thinking it's the new system.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2011 07:38 UTC]

Re: New Product Detail Page [message #35841 is a reply to message #35838 ] Tue, 04 October 2011 09:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
SW coders stuck the model file in a zip as the code that spits out the download file chucks in an extra 'newline' character at the beginning of the file, it still does it with the zip file (as noted by Bill here) but for most the workaround has fixed the corrrupt download issue.

Re: New Product Detail Page [message #35865 is a reply to message #35838 ] Tue, 04 October 2011 16:01 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
[quote title=lastZED wrote on Tue, 04 October 2011 07:34]

For me shapeways tries to save the file as a zip. The zip wouldn't open. So I tell the computer the file is an stl. The stl wouldn't open

@lastZED - What software are you using to unzip the file first? Whatever standard unzipping software I had enabled wouldn't work so I used another program and I've had no problems since. There are tons of free programs online, so you might want to try one of those. HTH!

Previous Topic:Release of Markup Wizard Delayed By 1 Day
Next Topic:Bulk Edit Markup is Live

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.