Home » Community » It arrived! » Absolutely WOW !
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon14.gif  Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26714 is a reply to message #26711 ] Thu, 28 April 2011 20:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tristan_bethe  is currently offline tristan_bethe
Go to my shop
Thanks Asher, You're a great help!

See more of my 3D scanning/printing adventures here: http://3dpersons.com/ or statyou.com
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26719 is a reply to message #25018 ] Thu, 28 April 2011 23:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Okay, can someone from Shapeways please answer the UV or vertices question? Do you use one or both methods depending on what is sent to you? Personally I have plans for colour models using mapped UV coordinates (and indeed uploaded one weeks ago) but if you're simply going to change them to vertex colours then I won't be impressed since the resolution will drop significantly. Mad

Also, as far as the 1 million triangle allowable upload goes I haven't found that to be the case. There is a 64mb FILE limit and a wrl file with mapped uv co-ordinates can get very large.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26722 is a reply to message #26719 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 04:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Depends maybe shapeways also subdivides them first. And keep in mind that the resolution is maybe ok but it is still basically an inkjet spraying on powder so I wonder if it visually makes a difference in the end.

Take a look to my comparisson picture of the 2 grandpas next to each other and ignore the difference in contrast. If this theory is correct the light one was printed with uvw and the dark one with vertex colors. I honestly cannot tell the difference in texture quality...

See more of my 3D scanning/printing adventures here: http://3dpersons.com/ or statyou.com
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26723 is a reply to message #26722 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 05:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The issue looks like typical linear vs monitor gamma (or the complex version: lack of color profile). But hey, when even "professional" print shops shrug when you ask about getting the profiles so things match a bit better...
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26724 is a reply to message #26723 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 05:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah, thats what I thought. Thats why the second print I sent I 'corrected' the texture to 0.4545. But there is something else wrong besides it being to bright. Confused

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26725 is a reply to message #26724 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 05:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Printers and monitors have an overlapping range of colours, but others are just out of gamut, so some colors never match, and maybe the range that matches is shifted to make room for all. And it gets trickier when the "paper" is gypsum and later it gets coated. We are talking about first or second generation inkjet tech with non photo "paper".

If nobody provides profiles or even basic tips about adjusments (or take care of them themselves), your best bet is "try and error" until you nail a reasonable color transform.
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26726 is a reply to message #26725 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 06:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Indeed. Another print I made at i.materialse thats not in the photos was a figure standing on a black platform.

I missed a part and they where friendly enough to select all of the platform and make it black. This black was more a mesh color and not a texture. The black platform was absolutely perfectly black. I think this points to what you are saying and that converting the texture to vertex perhaps also solves it since it by-passes color profiles all together..

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26744 is a reply to message #26726 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 18:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

Regarding the question about textures and colored vertices. We actually use both.

Best,

Robert
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26760 is a reply to message #25018 ] Fri, 29 April 2011 21:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
As Robert says, you can use both, but priority is given to textures, so you can place a logo or label on a vertex painted model. Both types use standard 24-bit RGB color. I tested CMYK JPEG and it showed a difference but no noticeable improvement in color gamut. Color may be converted to RGB before getting to the printer, but it turns out not to matter because the color accuracy is just not very good.

Transferring textures to vertices is normally only done when meshes must be edited for printing after mapping is applied. It can be handy when you want to print your old projects without re-mapping.

Keep in mind that when looking at models on-screen with auto-generated UVs you might see pixelated artifacts that won't be in the print. More info on that in this thread. I suspect there was nothing wrong with tristan_bethe's model to begin with...they were just looking at it in Magics. If the Shapeways preview render is distorted though, that will show in the print.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #26780 is a reply to message #26760 ] Sat, 30 April 2011 11:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Aeron and Robert! I just went +1 in my 3d printing knowledge.

However this does destroys my theory and possible solution to my color printing woes Sad

Well at least shapeways has the color down! If I can find a solution/alternative for the infiltrant I am completely happy Smile

icon14.gif  Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34696 is a reply to message #25830 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
ana wrote on Fri, 08 April 2011 19:20

Hey Dizingof,

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback on where we need to step it up. All of us want to see better results on sandstone, so the team is working hard on it right now.

Nancy, good to hear you guys are working on alternatives. We're all excited to hear more as you're able to share it.

I wanted to bump this thread after 6 months so i can take full credit Very Happy for the new AMAZING change shapeways has made to full color sandstone.

These first "It Arrived" models shows you how the WHITE is amazing and subsequently all other colors are bright and vibrant !

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=6444&a mp;start=0&

http://www.3Dizingof.com
icon14.gif  Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34697 is a reply to message #34696 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 16:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
LOL! well you deserve it! It is amazingly cool and was overjoyed when I read the good news! Cannot wait to test it myself!

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34726 is a reply to message #34697 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 20:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
I had the chance to test this new finish quite early and I can show you how the two whites compare:
index.php?t=getfile&id=11065&private=0
The Shapeways label is for reference.
I think this is really the white we were waiting for.

• Attachment: White13.JPG
    (Size: 135.69KB, Downloaded 367 time(s))

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34728 is a reply to message #25018 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Absolutely.

What's your opinion about the strength with new process vs the old?

I have some solid sculptures with the old process and the feel is strong and heavy - (i coated them with 1-2 coats of clear epoxy spray, so that could also contributed to the overall strength)

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34729 is a reply to message #34728 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Honestly I did not test the strength. The main reason is that my models are quite small and with no obvious weak point (spheres). I could try to make them drop until they break, but I am reluctant to destroy the models and I am unsure the result would be easy to interpret...
All I can say is that I did not notice any obvious strength difference during normal use (that is without stressing the models).

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34734 is a reply to message #34729 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 22:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Exactly the same thing with my test prints.. I hate to destroy such nice looking models. Shocked

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34735 is a reply to message #34734 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 23:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
OK Guys,

Sound like you are asking for some torture videos.... Very Happy

Duann Scott,
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34761 is a reply to message #34735 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 05:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Duann, please, do not use my models (it would be cruel): use Dizingof's instead! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34897 is a reply to message #34761 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 17:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
Yay, torture videos! =P

Kaetemi
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34898 is a reply to message #34761 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 17:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Magic wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 05:43

Duann, please, do not use my models (it would be cruel): use Dizingof's instead! Laughing Laughing Laughing

emm... think again.. if he uses yours you'll get noticed Razz

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34899 is a reply to message #25018 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 17:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
In that case use mine! Anyways should use the one on the blog, the thinner 2 fins on the side didn't make it through Maker Faire http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1001-Announcing-Brigh ter,-Higher-Definition,-Full-Color-3D-Printing-For-All.html

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34904 is a reply to message #34898 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 18:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
dizingof wrote on Thu, 22 September 2011 17:46

emm... think again.. if he uses yours you'll get noticed Razz

No way. I don't want anyone to break my... marbles.
I am joking, but all this gave me an idea (perhaps not really compatible with the new rules, we'll see).

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34941 is a reply to message #34904 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 06:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Some more info about a candidate to the crash test here.
Wink

Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34979 is a reply to message #34941 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 13:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Dizingof, please send a front and side head shot and i will make a ShapeMe for testing Cool

Until then I will order some dog bones and see if the local University will let me do some testing..

Oh, thanks to you all for raising the issue and making us lift our game... Full color is SO much better now for it.. You ALL rock...

Duann Scott,
Re: Absolutely WOW ! [message #34995 is a reply to message #25018 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 16:12 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Try Pete's Shapeme .. i'm not your boss.. Very Happy

Pages (2): [ «    1  2] 

Previous Topic:Bouncey ball!
Next Topic:Hangover & Sober

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.