Home » Community » General Discussion » Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34430] Sat, 17 September 2011 08:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar CristobalGordo  is currently offline CristobalGordo
Go to all my models
I'm just curious...moving parts are available in sandstone now- How do you do the superglue infiltration and keep the parts moving? Like if you have some sort of ball in a cage situation, how do you keep the ball from sticking to the inside of the cage? After all it's not just any glue- it's a SUPER glue.
Re: Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34435 is a reply to message #34430 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 10:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
AH, very good question...

Nancy?

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34709 is a reply to message #34430 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stefan_z  is currently offline stefan_z
Go to my shop
Bump!

I really wonder how they do it Smile
Re: Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34710 is a reply to message #34430 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 18:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I know Nancy and the rest of the team were real busy this weekend (had to deal with me and tons of future customers). I'll nudge Nancy to see what she says.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34724 is a reply to message #34710 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 20:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Perhaps they keep the models in movement... (like for polishing) Question

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34730 is a reply to message #34430 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 21:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nancyliang  is currently offline nancyliang
Go to my shop
I work here
Haha, well first, we don't use superglue. The solution has superglue-like qualities.

Second, the solution dries very quickly, so we just make sure the parts are moving while drying, which only takes a few minutes. This prevents the parts from sticky to one another.

Hope that demystifies things!

Product Manager
Twitter: @nliang
Re: Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34732 is a reply to message #34730 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 22:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CristobalGordo  is currently offline CristobalGordo
Go to all my models
If you are hiring, I would move to Holland to spin parts- I love the fumes.
Re: Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34736 is a reply to message #34732 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 23:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Ha CristobalGordo,

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Full color, superglue, and moving parts- How do you do it? [message #34737 is a reply to message #34732 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 23:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar nancyliang  is currently offline nancyliang
Go to my shop
I work here
Haha, no need! The new formula actually is much less toxic to work with. Smile

Product Manager
Twitter: @nliang

Previous Topic:Deleting a file from my account?
Next Topic:How to search for colored items?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.