Home » Community » General Discussion » 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #34653] Tue, 20 September 2011 11:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar JanitorMaster  is currently offline JanitorMaster
Go to all my models
This article might be interesting to the Shapeways team.

Also, the "Are there prohibited products?" section of the FAQ as well as the terms and conditions should probably be updated.
Re: 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #34658 is a reply to message #34653 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
That has been seen before, I know if something questionable were to come through, shapeways would investigate. And the terms and conditions will be added to soon and I'm sure frequently

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #34908 is a reply to message #34658 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 19:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
You could have totally legitimate reasons to produce such an item, so as long as what you're printing doesn't directly break any laws, such as 3D printing a firearm would, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to print an ATM facia without prompting a investigation.

This is everything that is wrong with society, people surrendering freedoms left, right and centre over anything and everything. The chances of getting your card details skimmed is minimal, the chances of Shapeways being used to 3D print the facia which contains the skimmer is even slimmer.

I'd rather people be free to print facias (including the minority of criminals) than treat the majority of people who want to legitimately print facias as criminals.

Re: 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #35148 is a reply to message #34653 ] Mon, 26 September 2011 17:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
And they can pay for the printing with info stolen from YOUR card...

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #35350 is a reply to message #35148 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 18:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Mon, 26 September 2011 17:10

I'd rather take the risk that my details are stolen than be treated like a criminal everytime I wish purchase an item that could be used criminally when I intend to be using it legitimately.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin
Re: 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #35351 is a reply to message #35350 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 19:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Did you notice that when you take a plane you have to go through very heavy security checks?
Because of a very very small minority of criminals, the majority of the travellers is treated as a potential criminal to insure security.
Of course you can claim your honesty, invocate your freedom to travel with a bomb* (since of course you do not intend to use it in the plane: your are not a criminal) but this won't work.
Welcome to the real world, a world where the majority pays by a loss of freedom its security because of a minority of criminal.

*PS: you can replace "bomb" by "bottle of water".

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #35353 is a reply to message #34653 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 19:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
If you could 3D print the device that actually takes the card information, I'd agree. But you can't. Should electronics be illegal since you can build one of these at home with electronic bits you can pick up at radio shack? no. Now if a file of a police officers hand cuff key (google it, true story) were to come across, by all means block it, or at least investigate it.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #35361 is a reply to message #35351 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Magic wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 19:15

Did you notice that when you take a plane you have to go through very heavy security checks?
Because of a very very small minority of criminals, the majority of the travellers is treated as a potential criminal to insure security.
Of course you can claim your honesty, invocate your freedom to travel with a bomb* (since of course you do not intend to use it in the plane: your are not a criminal) but this won't work.
Welcome to the real world, a world where the majority pays by a loss of freedom its security because of a minority of criminal.

*PS: you can replace "bomb" by "bottle of water".

Airport security is massively excessive when you look at the actual threat, compare the chances of being killed by a terrorist blowing up an aircraft(Btw your plane is more likely to crash than be blown up by a terrorist.) to being killed in a car crash for example. You are massively more likely to be killed in a car crash, but does road safety receive the budget of national security? Of course not! Because the government wants to scare the population, because fear enables governments, big business etc to perform actions and justify them using the fear created.

The example above(I sware the post now seems to have been edited, though it doesn't say it was Confused ) shows how the population has had this mock "fear" installed upon them. One person 3D Prints an ATM facia and the imediate reaction is to call for the police to be informed of anyone ordering a 3D Printed facia.

People need to take personal responsibility and stop looking to the state to look after them. From a safety point of view I'd personally be more worried about crossing the road to the ATM than I would be about my card details being stolen.

I agree with what Youknowwho4eva said above, if someone ordered a 3D Print of an item of police equipment it would be sensible to inquire as to why they need it. Considering you can buy your own handcuffs legally, it would be suspicious to order a key for police issue cuffs.

Regards,

Jack

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2011 21:06 UTC]

Re: 3D printing used to make ATM skimmers [message #36111 is a reply to message #35148 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 07:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Mon, 26 September 2011 17:10

Or they can just buy a printer with the proceeds of previous crimes... http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/09/gang-used-3d-printers-for -atm-skimmers/

Rolling Eyes

Previous Topic:colouring 3d models for free
Next Topic:Rendering Synthetic Objects into Legacy Photographs