Home » Support » 3D Printing » If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34350] Fri, 16 September 2011 12:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar Automaster  is currently offline Automaster
Go to my shop
I've designed an object that has some small cones on it. The larger width of the cone is 5mm and the smaller width is 3mm. If I print it out and my cone was made from a 24 sided circle, will edge lines appear on the round part or should I have made my cones from, say 100 sided circles?

Please help soon, as I'm ready to do a test print and don't want to waste the time and money if it'll have edge lines on the round parts.

Thanks to all!
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34351 is a reply to message #34350 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 12:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
yes you will then see the stepping on the model.

The more sides the better Wink
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34352 is a reply to message #34351 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 13:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you. Can you anticipate my next question?

Is it possible to change the sides of the circles when they're made into a cone or do I have to remake them all now from scratch. I'm using Google SketchUp. I'm sure the answer is going to be to remake them...

Thanks
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34356 is a reply to message #34352 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 14:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith is currently online stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I wrote up a bit of information about this subject here.

As to increasing the number of faces... I don't think Sketchup has that option, but many other design programs have the option to "subdivide a surface".

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34377 is a reply to message #34356 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 17:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Yes, you can change the number of sides of a circle.
I haven't used SketchUp for ages, but, if I remember well, once you selected the circle tool, before drawing, just type the number of sides in the input field (the same that is used to input the radius once the circle is drawn). Someone having SKetchUp installed could perhaps confirm that to you.

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34378 is a reply to message #34356 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 17:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Stony. I got a 404 error from your link, but I think I found the section on your website that it referred to. I have blender too, though I'm not as good at using it yet. Any free programs you'd recommend over others?
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34379 is a reply to message #34377 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 17:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Magic wrote on Fri, 16 September 2011 17:33

Yes, you can change the number of sides of a circle.
I haven't used SketchUp for ages, but, if I remember well, once you selected the circle tool, before drawing, just type the number of sides in the input field (the same that is used to input the radius once the circle is drawn). Someone having SKetchUp installed could perhaps confirm that to you.

Right, but my circles are already drawn and transformed into truncated cones. Can the circles' sides (and thus the cones) be increased once this process has been conducted?

Thanks for the input.
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34382 is a reply to message #34379 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 18:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Not that i know. I am afraid you would have to make the cone again from the circle... That's quite quick though.

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34388 is a reply to message #34382 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 20:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sorry for the 404.
http://www.stonysmith.com/wired/scaling.asp

For every 20 designers, there are probably 25 design packages they'll recommend. <grin>

Personally, I use TrueSpace and OpenSCAD.. both of which are free programs.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34396 is a reply to message #34388 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 21:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks guys! I can't wait to get back to work on my projects tonight. This has opened up a new door of creativity for me.I love this stuff!!

It definitely has it's frustrating moments......like when you think you're done but then have to go back and redo stuff.

Then there's getting shapeways upload error messages which is a whole other thread in itself. Smile
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34454 is a reply to message #34396 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 14:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I remade all my cones using 100 sided circles. I still see some edge lines present on the shapeways view. I don't have enough experience yet to know if those will smooth out.

So if anyone has practical experience with 100 sided cylinders or cones can you chime in to let me know how yours turned out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Re: If I print a cone from a 24 sided circle......? [message #34460 is a reply to message #34454 ] Sat, 17 September 2011 14:52 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Okay.. sorry to go all engineer on you but, here goes... (remember, you asked..)

The concept here is that current 3d prints will never be "round".. they will alwyas be faceted. If you zoom in enough on any model you are going to see the facets. What you want to do though, is get your facets as small as you can while keeping in mind that the more facets you add, the larger/more complex the uploaded file has to be.

WSF has a minimum detail width (MDW) of 0.2mm. Because of the stepping accuracy of the printer, it can't resolve facets accurately below that limit.

I personally try to design my facets at least 1/2 of that MDW size, in this case 0.1mm.

If you have a circle that is 5mm, then the circumference is 15.7mm. So, you'd need 15.7 / 0.1mm = 157 facets for your model to be more detailed than the accuracy of the printer.

Keep in mind though that FUD's MDW is 0.1mm - if you ever want to move up to FUD, that 5mm circle would need 300+ facets.

=======
You asked about practical experience.. I've found that the 1/2 MDW produces models that are reasonably round. I've got an oval shaped fairly flat surface that is 12mm x 22mm x 2mm that is made up of ~500 facets (16 steps each direction), and you can see 6-8 steps across it because of the printer stepping.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2011 14:59 UTC]

Previous Topic:hollow model
Next Topic:Model Help

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.