Home »  » General Discussion » Another UPS peculiarity
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Another UPS peculiarity [message #34320] Fri, 16 September 2011 02:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar CGD  is currently offline CGD
Go to my shop
Very interesting route...
index.php?t=getfile&id=11003&private=0

• Attachment: snap04.jpg
    (Size: 204.67KB, Downloaded 269 time(s))

Re: Another UPS peculiarity [message #34321 is a reply to message #34320 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 02:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Wormhole in space

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Another UPS peculiarity [message #34366 is a reply to message #34320 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 14:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Maybe that's how they justify charging so much - they travel in circles!

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Another UPS peculiarity [message #34951 is a reply to message #34366 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 09:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Smolderz  is currently offline Smolderz
Go to all my models
@duann

They must have printed a stargate...
Re: Another UPS peculiarity [message #35009 is a reply to message #34320 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 17:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Excuse me, I think I'm in the wrong line. I'm supposed to be leaving prison.
Are you sure?
Yea I'm sure that guy already sat on my face
Stupid your in the wrong line stupid

Probably a very botched quote but 5 pts for the first to get the reference.

Another one would be
When did they change the meaning of from to to
They sent you a letter about it but it said to Peter so you probably thought it was from you

As long as they don't charge you 3 import fees.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Another UPS peculiarity [message #35014 is a reply to message #34320 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 19:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar VeryWetPaint  is currently offline VeryWetPaint
Go to my shop
It's probably not as illogical as it looks. There are a few oddities about shipping that can cause phantom shipping events:

• Many parcels are loaded together inside a single ULD container for air transit, and the ULD's manifest lists all the parcels inside it. Each time that ULD departs or arrives at a location it generates a "departure scan" or "arrival scan" for every parcel listed in its manifest.
  • Sometimes a parcel is taken out of the ULD but the manifest isn't updated, so the parcel seems to go wherever the ULD goes next. In this instance, your parcel could have been taken out of the ULD at Cologne but the manifest wasn't updated. When the ULD was returned to Eindhoven, it would generate 'phantom' tracking events as though your parcel had traveled but the parcel had stayed in Cologne.
  • It's not uncommon for a shipper to leave one or more ULDs on an airplane if there's a handling issue at a particular airport. In this example there might not have been sufficient time to unload all the ULDs at Cologne, so the shipper left it on the flight back to Eindhoven rather than delay the flight and all flights queued behind it.
Re: Another UPS peculiarity [message #35020 is a reply to message #35014 ] Fri, 23 September 2011 22:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Does it apply to trucks too? Because using airplanes for ~200Km... the cargo would probably travel more (including truck to/from airport) and wait a lot to get into airplane than by road only.
Re: Another UPS peculiarity [message #35031 is a reply to message #35020 ] Sat, 24 September 2011 05:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar VeryWetPaint  is currently offline VeryWetPaint
Go to my shop
stannum wrote on Fri, 23 September 2011 22:07

Does it apply to trucks too? Because using airplanes for ~200Km... the cargo would probably travel more (including truck to/from airport) and wait a lot to get into airplane than by road only.

No, this shipment didn't go by truck. Notice that both trips from Eindhoven to Cologne (or properly "Köln") took about 2 hours each, much too fast for trucks between those locations.

Carriers prioritize capacity over speed, so long as shipments can be kept on schedule. To achieve capacity parcels are loaded into ULD containers ("Unit Load Device") as soon as possible, grouping them with other parcels to the same region. Parcels are unloaded and re-sorted into new ULD containers at major hubs.

I'm guessing CGD lives outside Europe, since UPS shipments routed through Cologne are often headed to destinations outside mainland Europe.

Previous Topic:photo contest?
Next Topic:Community request Top list

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.