Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » WSF chain test
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF chain test [message #34301] Thu, 15 September 2011 19:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This test model was inspired by an email comment from Mitchell (aka Jettuh) regarding one of my chain maille models that I was having difficulty uploading.

Basically Mitchell said I could do the same with many less triangles, thus enabling more rings on a chain maille piece before hitting the time-out on mesh medic. I created this model to find out what parameters a set of rings could be made to with the minimum amount of triangles... and here's the results.

Each ring is a torus with the following characteristics.

A to E are 1mm 'wire'/tube diameter, ID 4mm, OD 6mm - aspect ratio (AR) 4.0
V to Z are 0.7mm 'wire'/tube diameter, ID 2.8mm, OD 4.2mm - aspect ratio (AR) 4.0

A & V) 8 ring segments
B & W) 16 ring segments
C & X) 32 ring segments
D & Y) 64 ring segments
E & Z) 128 ring segments

1) 8 tube sections
2) 12 tube sections
3) 16 tube sections
4) 20 tube sections
5) 24 tube sections

All of the rings have 0.25mm spacing.

CGI
http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/rings-test/images/WSF-chain-test-qr.jpg

Photo
http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/rings-test/images/WSF-chain-test-photo-sml.jpg
Large image here

As can be seen from the photo, some of the rings are more square and thinner than others due to print orientation.

In my opinion, for small scale chain and chain maille the rings B2 and W2 offer the best triangle value for the size of ring, and thus the best advantage for making larger sheets or scale garments whilst keeping within Shapeways upload limits and software checks.

Cheers,
Paul

[edit] fixed the duff (hyper)link

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2011 20:29 UTC]

Re: WSF chain test [message #34304 is a reply to message #34301 ] Thu, 15 September 2011 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dhawktx  is currently offline dhawktx
Go to my shop
My first order had a lot of 'pointy-ness' on the rings much like the "X" column of rings. I was guessing that it might be tied to print orientation...

So, the question begs...compared to the maille I've already ordered previously, what's the difference in total triangle and how much larger of a sheet can we get?

Model 315710....the shape is a Lie! (honest, that's where it landed me! *g*)

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2011 21:00 UTC]

Re: WSF chain test [message #34306 is a reply to message #34304 ] Thu, 15 September 2011 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Compared to the 484 sheet, there's about 40% of the number of triangles per ring. Now, this should mean 120% increase in the number of rings, but as the number of rings increases in both x & y there's more complexity added for Shapeways checking software to complete its checks in the 30 minutes allowed.

It will be some trial and error (i.e. make a sheet & upload) to find the limits, but I am anticipating somewhere in the region of 800 rings for a square sheet and maybe as many as 1100 rings for a long rectangular sheet.

The only trouble is that the trial and error stage will tie up one software session for 30 minutes at a time and other people will be waiting longer for their 'your model is printable' confirmations.

The pointyness on the rings is tied to both print orientation and gap spacing... bigger rings with bigger spacing will have less pointyness.

Paul

p.s. I also had a 1/2 scale FUD version printed Smile
Re: WSF chain test [message #34308 is a reply to message #34306 ] Thu, 15 September 2011 20:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dhawktx  is currently offline dhawktx
Go to my shop
Interesting! Once I had it doctored up with the silver paint the pointyness became unnoticeable (unless you're ADD like me!).

I look forward to ordering some new, lower poly maille to compare with the existing models!

Previous Topic:Miniature first try - very impressive
Next Topic:Bubbles in a Plane by OSKAR

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.