Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Choosing a Mac-based CAD program
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Choosing a Mac-based CAD program [message #32027] Wed, 03 August 2011 18:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar ahncinema  is currently offline ahncinema
Go to my shop
So, I'm in the market for a new Mac-based 3D CAD program. AutoCAD 2001 Mac is useful for 75% of my 3D printing projects, but it's missing too many features and has too many bugs for me to stick with it.
I'm looking for an industrial design or engineering CAD program in the sub-$300 range. I'm less interested in the ability to model wild organic shapes than I am in having precise control over dimensions. Solidworks sounds great, save for the $3k price tag. How have people found TurboCAD? The CAD selection for Mac users is slim, but I'm hoping there's a solution out there.
Re: Choosing a Mac-based CAD program [message #32029 is a reply to message #32027 ] Wed, 03 August 2011 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Have a look at ViaCAD http://www.punchcad.com/p-9-viacad-2d3d-v8.aspx]

It a good solid modeller, with a intuitive interface and a good price.

Bill Bedford
Re: Choosing a Mac-based CAD program [message #32364 is a reply to message #32029 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Eric1180  is currently offline Eric1180
Go to all my models
i have turbocad will this work? Has any one used it before?
Re: Choosing a Mac-based CAD program [message #32415 is a reply to message #32364 ] Wed, 10 August 2011 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I've been looking at TurboCAD, and it seems like I'll probably end up with that. I'm still on the fence over whether to buy the Deluxe version, or the Pro version. I'm not sure what exactly the extra $200 buys.
Re: Choosing a Mac-based CAD program [message #33509 is a reply to message #32415 ] Mon, 29 August 2011 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stuartar  is currently offline stuartar
Go to my shop
@ albasicdude, did you make a decision on a mac based CAD app?.
I'm also on the look-out, but don't want to spend too much as it's only
for personal use.

@ Bill, your punch-cad suggestion looks very promising. Do you use this app yourself?.
Have you ever looked at Alibre?, and if so, how do the two compare?. As I said above,
I'm just looking to use it for personal projects, and I don't want something too complicated
to learn. Punch-cad looks too good to be true, for the cost. It would be good to know the app
can handle more complicated projects as I gain experience.

Regards,

Stuart.
Re: Choosing a Mac-based CAD program [message #33513 is a reply to message #33509 ] Mon, 29 August 2011 15:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
I've seen Alibre, but not used it since it doesn't run on a Mac. I the main difference I can see between it and ViaCad is that Alibre uses component/assembly drawings which, If I have understood the architecture correctly is not likely ever to come to the Mac. As for complications, I think that the triangle limits imposed by Shapeways will be more of a limit than anything you can do in CAD. But, feel free to look though my uploads to see what is possible with the software.
Loco
Tender

Bill Bedford
Re: Choosing a Mac-based CAD program [message #33558 is a reply to message #33513 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 13:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stuartar  is currently offline stuartar
Go to my shop
Thanks Bill, looks like I will be taking the plunge with viacad.
Re: Choosing a Mac-based CAD program [message #34101 is a reply to message #32027 ] Sat, 10 September 2011 13:00 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I hadn't seen ViaCAD in my previous searches, but it looks quite good. I'm starting to think running Boot Camp with Windows 7 on my Mac might make the most sense. There are far too many CAD options for Windows users for me to limit myself to what has trickled down to Mac.

Previous Topic:3D-coat, per pixel painting, uv maps
Next Topic:CADSpan and vanishing model bits...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.