Home » Community » General Discussion » fab.com
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
fab.com [message #33664] Thu, 01 September 2011 17:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar designerica  is currently offline designerica
Go to my shop
I'm doing a sale on fab.com tomorrow. I know Nervous System did a sale with them already and according to the people at Fab it went really well.

Check out my sale (DESiGNERiCA -- tomorrow) and the site as a whole... i know there are others of you out there who will love the site and who knows, maybe i'll see some more shapeways creations there in the future...?

http://fab.com/qyzl5r

-erica

www.designerica.com
Re: fab.com [message #33701 is a reply to message #33664 ] Fri, 02 September 2011 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I just saw it in my Fab email. Good luck!

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: fab.com [message #33757 is a reply to message #33664 ] Sun, 04 September 2011 05:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nervoussystem  is currently offline nervoussystem
Go to my shop
curious to hear how it goes for you

http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com
Re: fab.com [message #33809 is a reply to message #33757 ] Mon, 05 September 2011 16:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
i doubt i did as well as you did, Jessica!

I'm pretty happy so I don't mind sharing:

with 21 skus- more than 400 units sold (about 10k gross of which fab keeps about 1/3).

the hive cuffs are the only item i'm NOT having made through shapeways. I had 19 casts left and they sold out in 2 hours.

I will definitely do it again.

what i will do differently next time: give them slightly higher prices. i expected fab to be greedier.

-e

www.designerica.com
Re: fab.com [message #33812 is a reply to message #33809 ] Mon, 05 September 2011 18:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
just emailed you about it

Re: fab.com [message #33824 is a reply to message #33812 ] Tue, 06 September 2011 03:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
is there more that you can tell us about fab.com services. i am trying to sell stuff off my shop but haven't gotten but one sale. i am beginning to wonder if it is my stuff?

anyways any advise on what to do and where to advertise is greatly appreciated.

Chris

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: fab.com [message #33826 is a reply to message #33664 ] Tue, 06 September 2011 05:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Good luck with the promotion.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: fab.com [message #33827 is a reply to message #33824 ] Tue, 06 September 2011 06:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
chris-
i don't do a lot of sales through shapeways either, but i can tell you that real photos are a necessity for selling on any website. people want to see what it will actually look like.

once you have photos, try an etsy shop.

you can see mine--
designerica.etsy.com

i get more sales through etsy than shapeways.

www.designerica.com
Re: fab.com [message #33919 is a reply to message #33827 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 03:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
thanks for the advise... it really has been difficult, i realize that i need to have my items printed and photographed to get more exposure but i really can't afford it...

it is kinda the same way with etsy. they charge by listing and even though it isn't much i can't really justify that expense unless i know that it is guaranteed sales... there again i need to print my designs to sell them.

i really do like designerica's designs but i was wondering, does etsy consider 3d printing "hand made" ?

i think that i am going to have to break down and print out some of my designs.

chris

Re: fab.com [message #33922 is a reply to message #33919 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 05:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
yeah. you really can't expect people to pay for a print if they don't know it'll come out right... if you don't know it'll come out right.

3d printed is acceptable on etsy.

etsy charges 20 cents per listing and it lasts for 3 months. start with 5- that's a whole dollar.

if you print it, they will come...

www.designerica.com
Re: fab.com [message #34035 is a reply to message #33922 ] Thu, 08 September 2011 22:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
thank you so much for your valuable input.

Re: fab.com [message #34040 is a reply to message #33922 ] Fri, 09 September 2011 00:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
designerica wrote on Wed, 07 September 2011 05:46

if you print it, they will come...

Right On !!!

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: fab.com [message #34046 is a reply to message #34035 ] Fri, 09 September 2011 01:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
no prob! if you (or anyone) has any other questions, i'm happy to try to answer. not that i'm an expert... just figuring it out as i go along.

www.designerica.com
Re: fab.com [message #34250 is a reply to message #34046 ] Wed, 14 September 2011 17:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
@designerica Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the Fab sale Smile

Am curious to know, out of all online storefronts you've tried, which one has worked best for you? I'd assume that doesn't count Fab, since it's more a short-term promotional thing.

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: fab.com [message #34257 is a reply to message #34250 ] Wed, 14 September 2011 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
definitely etsy. it generates its own customers BUT... it comes off as a little unprofessional because by concept it's about crafters not designers.

i'm going to have my own site built soon (when my designer/brother finishes his current project). i'll probably continue to keep the etsy shop going, but i won't give that address out or link to it on my website.

i rarely sell anything on shapeways or ponoko. i haven't really tried much else. the problems with selling directly on shapeways are many:
1) the interface is really difficult to use
2) there is a serious saturation of similar products. in a sea of 3d printed products, it's very hard to stand out.
3) it seems like most of the people on it are designers rather than shoppers
4) there is no opportunity for post-production. i can't have orders diverted to me for finishing and then ship them to the customer.

if i were shapeways, i'd make two entirely different portals- one for shoppers and one for designers. yes, it's one company. but it's also inherently two different services. it's too much to deal with all at once. ponoko has #1 figured out little better, but #2 and #3 still apply.

www.designerica.com
Re: fab.com [message #34268 is a reply to message #34257 ] Wed, 14 September 2011 23:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
i totally agree with you on all 4 topics. although i kinda like number 4 the way it is.one of the reasons that i liked shapeways is that if i wanted that i could just make money off my designs and not have to do the post production.

i really like the idea of a separate "portal" shop for selling. the shapeways site design is so homogenized that there is little to differentiate between looking at the uploads section and the shops section. this also leads into the ease of shopping discussion. i would love to see it such that a customer doesn't have to sign in before they can purchase an object. the less clicks between choosing an object and them recieving it the better.

other things that i think that would help with what you are saying- develop some sort of guild system where several designers can get together and collaborate exclusively and exchange ideas and designs. this could easily foster a following and deter overlapping designs. also this might foster collaborative marketing- where say a group can pool its money together to purchase advertising or divide and conquer to individuals strengths. say if one member has a bazillion FB friends and another has a million followers on twitter and another has a successful secondlife storefront- we could all play to our strengths and "advertise" the guild- bringing in numerous potential new customers.

anyways i think that you said it very matter of factually and to the point. there are several other ways that i think would help but i will take that to the website forum so that i won't pollute this tread anymore.

easy SHAPING...

like that? just came up with it right now...

Re: fab.com [message #36062 is a reply to message #33664 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 17:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Our second sale is up now. check it out!

Fab.com Flash Sale: Nervous System - Digital Designs Based on Nature

Re: fab.com [message #36063 is a reply to message #33664 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 17:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
That's old news, I saw that this morning Razz. Let us know how it does for you!

michael@shapeways.com
Re: fab.com [message #36066 is a reply to message #36062 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 18:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
nice!

you must've set higher numbers this time since it's 2pm and it's not all sold out Smile

www.designerica.com
Re: fab.com [message #36077 is a reply to message #36066 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 20:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
yep. already surpassed the quantity we sold in our first sale on the first day of our second!
Re: fab.com [message #36078 is a reply to message #33664 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 20:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I'm assuming the ceramics are competitor supplied? I can't wait for it's return so I can get my yet to be finished model ordered in it. Have you seen both sets of ceramic (competitor and SW)? If so how do they compare?

michael@shapeways.com
Re: fab.com [message #36082 is a reply to message #36078 ] Thu, 06 October 2011 20:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
the ceramics are slipcast porcelain and are mass produced

I haven't come up with a product yet that would work for the roughness and porosity of the 3d-printed cermic
Re: fab.com [message #36167 is a reply to message #33664 ] Fri, 07 October 2011 18:08 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I work here
Ah mass production. Nice. I was wondering if the stamp on the bottom was post production or before firing. Would be awesome if that were possible when ceramic comes back. Also would be great if the roughness and porosity you mentioned is solved.

michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Rendering Synthetic Objects into Legacy Photographs
Next Topic:Discount on Dice

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.