Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Would Shapeways resolution work for this application
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Would Shapeways resolution work for this application [message #33972] Wed, 07 September 2011 21:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar Flubber  is currently offline Flubber
Go to all my models
I am wondering if I can use shapeways as an alternative to jewelry printer services that charge on average $85 per ring. I know that these shops use printers that print out a "wax" that can be directly invested in wax and burnt out, but I will be making RTV molds myself and then casting waxes, so I don't need that type of material. I am really wondering about the resolution, as I am not familiar with the micron statistics on the shapeways site. I know the wax type printers are slower and hence their service cost more, but is the shapeways resolution much more inferior to them? I was looking in the shapeways shops to get an idea of what can be done, and it looks like most of the finished pieces of jewelry have a bumpy matte finished sufface, is this due to a resolution limit? So I am wondering can you make a smoothed detailed model of a ring in one of the plastic materials that is along the surface quality of regular high end jewelry piece.

Thanks, Flubber
Re: Would Shapeways resolution work for this application [message #33976 is a reply to message #33972 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 22:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well I have spent some more time on the site, and to answer my own post, It looks like the answer is no, You cant do fine jewelry models with shapeways, most all the things I see here as far as jewelry has a horrible finish, it all looks like it came from a primitive world, where the only casting method they had was sand casting. I really don't know why people do this stuff, well yeah I guess its fun for them, and they are satisfied with it. ignorance is bliss.
Re: Would Shapeways resolution work for this application [message #33981 is a reply to message #33976 ] Thu, 08 September 2011 01:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Flubber,

Take a look at the polished silver finish on this model

http://www.shapeways.com/model/265904/keyboard_ring.html?gid =cg14

I think it is nice? Is this what you are looking for?

Duann Scott

Re: Would Shapeways resolution work for this application [message #33983 is a reply to message #33981 ] Thu, 08 September 2011 03:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well that print was highly polished, I bet the original was grainy and had print layers showing from what I have seen here. But I hate that kind of stupid quick novelty garbage. Thats one ugly ring !!!!!!!!!!!!!, but to each his own, thats just how I see it. No offense to the designer, but once you put stuff out you got take the criticism. You want to see some real jewelry look at some one like Rene Lalique.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2011 04:00 UTC]

Re: Would Shapeways resolution work for this application [message #33985 is a reply to message #33983 ] Thu, 08 September 2011 05:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Silver has layers (but no sand grain) and polishing gets rid of them in the high zones. You will need to polish the grooves yourself for a total smooth look (or fill them with something easy to smooth, then copy this improved version). The sand cast look should only happen with the steel-bronze material (and it's derivates).

You can see the lines in some zones of
http://www.shapeways.com/model/295033/cat_ring.html
http://www.shapeways.com/model/263269/cat_skull_ring.html
Re: Would Shapeways resolution work for this application [message #33986 is a reply to message #33972 ] Thu, 08 September 2011 05:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you for the replies. I am looking for "plastic" prints that I don't have to fix up that I can pull RTV molds from.
Re: Would Shapeways resolution work for this application [message #33990 is a reply to message #33972 ] Thu, 08 September 2011 07:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Try "Frosted Ultra Detail" and/or "polished White, Strong and Flexible"... depending on the grade of detail you want.

Previous Topic:Help - FUD model too short in one direction
Next Topic:hollow model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.