Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Private sale - access for only one customer
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25637] Tue, 05 April 2011 03:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
I've got a part that I only want one person to be able to buy. I read another thread where it said you need to make the part available for sale momentarily, then set it back to hidden. You can then send the " _http://shpws.me/***** " link shown to the right on the part image on the order page to that person and they can see and order from that link.

I did that but when I try to view the shpws.me link I get a blank page. What am i doing wrong?
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25638 is a reply to message #25637 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 04:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi,

Your best option is set the model availability to "Available for all" and model view state to "Hidden".

The model is at that time only accessible through a direct link but will not show up in the search or the gallery.

Best,

Robert
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25641 is a reply to message #25638 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 05:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you for your help, Robert.

I checked 'Available to all' and saved the changes, but when I copy and paste the direct link into another window in my browser (Firefox) and hit Enter I get a blank page. Will my customer be able to see the page if I send them the link?
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25642 is a reply to message #25641 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 05:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
That sounds odd. Could you send me the link via PM so I can take a look for you?

Best,

Robert
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25648 is a reply to message #25642 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 08:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Robert, it looks like the Shapeways URL shortener is broken, e.g. http://shpws.me/x4j should link to http://www.shapeways.com/model/230365/spring_flower.html?gid =ug43177 but instead it links to http://www.shapeways.com//model/203346/hatch_coverr.html?mod e=3d

Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25650 is a reply to message #25637 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 08:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Also, probably best if the url shortener does not work with the hidden url type, it would kinda defeat the long secret url Smile

To use the hidden link, do as before but reload the page and copy the url from the browser bar, it should be something like this :
http://www.shapeways.com/model/203821/4c19fb95e42288a521b58e c23e81516a/model_name.html

so model/<modelnr>/<secretpart>/<modelname>

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25657 is a reply to message #25650 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 13:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Yes, the URL shortener has a problem. A fix is on the way.

Best,

Robert
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25675 is a reply to message #25657 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 21:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Virtox and Robert! I got it to work with your help.

Scott
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #25777 is a reply to message #25637 ] Thu, 07 April 2011 18:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar horst  is currently offline horst
Go to all my models
I work here
The URL shortener has also been fixed (a day or two ago). If you notice any continued problems with it, be sure to let us know.

-Ben

Shapeways Front-End Product Lead
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #33909 is a reply to message #25637 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 00:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CadMonkey  is currently offline CadMonkey
Go to my shop
I am having a similar problem with the new layout. I have unchecked the "List on Site" box and checked the "Allow Others to Purchase" box but when I log out and try to follow the link I get a 404 error. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #33913 is a reply to message #33909 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 01:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Weird

Whilst logged in, go to your product page and copy the URL from your browser, it should be quite long with a string of numbers..

Then log out and try again?

Let us know if this works?

Duann Scott

Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #33916 is a reply to message #25637 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 02:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CadMonkey  is currently offline CadMonkey
Go to my shop
Thanks Duann,

That worked. For some reason when I copied the link yesterday the long string of numbers was missing. Not sure why. But thanks again for your help.

Brad.
Re: Private sale - access for only one customer [message #33923 is a reply to message #33916 ] Wed, 07 September 2011 06:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Changes to the Title, 'Display and Sale Options' or available materials require the page to be reloaded after 'Save' for the changes to be visable/effective (not sure of the right word here), but as an example, changing the available materials requires the model page to be reloaded before the materials are changed in the 'Make Your Profit' list.

Perhaps a 'Save and Reload' button is needed too?

Paul

Previous Topic:shipped dc ny
Next Topic:Paypal alternative

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.