Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Plastic solvent on WSF
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Plastic solvent on WSF [message #33761] Sun, 04 September 2011 11:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar Bunrattypark  is currently offline Bunrattypark
Go to my shop
Just as an experiment, I tried brushing a WSF model a couple of times with plastic solvent fluid, the kind used for fixing plastic styrene sheet. Solvent fluid melts a tiny surface layer of the styrene, fusing parts to each other.

I had wondered if the solvent fluid would have any effect on the rough surface of a WSF model. After about four or five brushings, it appeared to have no effect at all. That's a pity. Obviously a different plastic compound to the styrene used in plastic modelling sheets.

I wonder is there anything else that might be brushed on, that might take the rough edge off the WSF? An alternative to the lengthy and over aggressive Shapeways polishing procedure would be nice.
Re: Plastic solvent on WSF [message #33766 is a reply to message #33761 ] Sun, 04 September 2011 14:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
From the info here, it doesn't look like there's any readily available solvent for WSF (nylon 12). I wonder if a 'flame polish' would work?

Just where did I put that WSF Bowie Twisted Evil
Re: Plastic solvent on WSF [message #33767 is a reply to message #33761 ] Sun, 04 September 2011 15:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
Apparently it is possible to chemically smooth Nylon but the solvent is really toxic because the bonds in Nylon also occur in proteins (peptide bonds).

Flame polishing doesn't work either. It just goes black.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 September 2011 15:15 UTC]

Re: Plastic solvent on WSF [message #33769 is a reply to message #33767 ] Sun, 04 September 2011 18:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DOC2  is currently offline DOC2
Go to all my models
I've heard from a modeller that CA (Cyanoacrilaten) do the job but I won't try it: much too dangerous stuff, specialy if used in such quantities.

Daniel
Re: Plastic solvent on WSF [message #33773 is a reply to message #33769 ] Sun, 04 September 2011 20:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
CA has been done already, you can see comments and examples in this forum. But it doesn't melt, it just seals the surface and fills the smalls holes, just like using matte varnish. Or any other type of filler liquid/paste, for that matter.

Anyway, that's better done by hand and in small steps, otherwise you get nasty blobs while with control you can avoid sanding or reduce it to bare minimum. Varnishing the dice tower box took 2 coats, each some minutes of manual work to apply with a brush over a plate as shallow bath (with special care to avoid the inner shell sticking to the outer). The result is a silky surface, not 100% smooth but nice, and no sanding needed.

Previous Topic:Shellac with Z-corp color material?
Next Topic:Experiences with painting "Frosted Detail" materials

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.