Home » Community » It arrived! » Science Fiction Book Series Models!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Science Fiction Book Series Models! [message #33610] Wed, 31 August 2011 14:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar Corhellion  is currently offline Corhellion
Go to all my models
Hi there!

I received my first (technically second) delivery from Shapeways!

These are models that I've made for a science fiction book series. They've appeared on Book covers and in trailers made for the series.

They aren't available for printing to the public yet, but hopefully sometime within the next year or so they'll be available.

The two I printed are the Martian Planitia Class Battleship and the Terran Bonaventure Class Battleship.

**I only had a webcam to get these pictures, I'll be getting better ones with an actual camera in the near future.**

The Martian Battleship in WSF:
index.php?t=getfile&id=10846&private=0

VERY impressed with the detail on this one.
index.php?t=getfile&id=10847&private=0

Terran Bonaventure Class Battleship in WSF:
index.php?t=getfile&id=10848&private=0

MUCH better than the first printing of it, also using a newer model for the reference.
index.php?t=getfile&id=10849&private=0

I'm very tempted to get the Bonaventure in FUD to see how the little guns turn out. Seeing as how this model, unlike the Martian Battleship, used the hero model from the books. The Martian model used slightly altered weapons to make it more printer friendly.

But that aside, you've got one VERY happy customer here! Very Happy I'll be definitely getting the other ones I've got on here.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2011 19:45 UTC]

Re: Science Fiction Book Series Models! [message #33624 is a reply to message #33610 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 18:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Fun stuff! I'm glad you're happy with how these turned out.

So tell me if I got this right, you designed these ships for the cover of a series of Sci Fi books, and then printed the real world version on Shapeways? Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Science Fiction Book Series Models! [message #33627 is a reply to message #33624 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 19:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Corhellion  is currently offline Corhellion
Go to all my models
Yep, you got it! Smile

It's very cool to hold a piece of your work in your hand. Plus it's fun to swoosh them around. Razz

However, there is one small thing that I discovered with the Martian Battleship model (and it's an oversight on my part). But the 4 turrets around the engines have a bit of a lip/gap around the rounded bit, you can actually see underneath them a little bit. I'll just re-upload a modified version that has them lowered a bit, to compensate for that little user error.

Aside from that, they turned out better than I expected! Very Happy

Previous Topic:1st and 2nd batch of 32mm minis
Next Topic:Ring'n'Roll!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.