Home » Support » 3D Printing » Strong&Flexible materials - stain
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33347] Fri, 26 August 2011 07:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar caesar  is currently offline caesar
Go to all my models
Hey there,

some weeks ago I made a pendant for my girlfriend and ordered a testprint in WSF.
She loved it and wears it a lot but now I encouter a problem.
Because of the rough surface the pendant has black stains (especially where it touches the black leather neckless).

Will that happen with other colors of the strong and flexible materials, too? I wanted to print some red pendants for a leather cord. But if it will get black stained, too, thats the wrong material for that purpose.

I have no problem at all with the color change of the WSF print. It was a testprint as came out great! It is a very tough material, better then I expected. But the red ones should stay red as they would be the real pendants and not only testprints.

If you have made any experiences or suggestions please let me know!

Regards
C
Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33350 is a reply to message #33347 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 08:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The strong & flexible materials are porous and will stain. The coloured S&F materials are WSF that is dyed, the dye stains the plastic, but does not seal the grain.

Ana uses a dishwasher to clean WSF.

And some suggestions for sealing S&F materials. Ordinary artists acrylic paint also works well to colour & seal WSF. My preferred method is to dilute the paint and dip the model several times, allowing the paint to dry between dips.

Paul

Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33351 is a reply to message #33350 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 08:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
Hmm a dishwasher, never thought of that but I'll give it a try Very Happy

Sealing methods:
I'm not sure if thats suitable for models having permanent skin contact, like a pendant on a necklace. Do you know if that could cause problems with the skin as floor polish, acrylic paint or urethan glue have strong chemicals in them?
Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33352 is a reply to message #33351 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 08:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
A quick google reveals a pretty comprehensive guide for paints on http://web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/artsafety/sec10.htm . I use Daler Rowney System 3 Acrylics, the safety sheet is here... looks a bit scary, but personally I've not had any issues in my 25+ years of using the paints.

Not sure about urethene glue though, that might vary by manufacturer and the same goes for the Klear (acrylic based) floor poish - probably best to check manufacturers safety sheet for those.
Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33353 is a reply to message #33352 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 08:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Again, thanks a lot!
May I ask you what experiences you made with the polished finish?
As the surface is a lot smoother it should not stain as much as the rougher version.
Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33355 is a reply to message #33353 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 09:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The surface of the polished WSF is almost sealed, mostly the outer regions I'd say are 80-90% sealed, but any areas that are in grooves or details are much less sealed. I can try an experiment with some Humbrol silver acrylic spray paint on a piece I have if the weather improves (its raining & I spray outdoors use due my son's asthma)

Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33356 is a reply to message #33355 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 09:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
No need to 'waste' your models for tryouts. I'll check out a shop today to see if I can find something suiteable as I know what to look for now.
Worst case scenario: she will have to add something to the dishes sometimes Laughing or I'll desing in silver again.
Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33357 is a reply to message #33356 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 09:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
No worries, its a worthy experiment, and something I've been meaning to do for a while.

The ordinary WSF model below has 2 coats of Tamyia fine surface primer, followed by 2 coats of the Humbrol silver acrylic, it will be a good comparison Smile

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6132/5950036314_91b58e470f_z.jpg
Bowie on the balcony by stop4stuff, on Flickr

Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33360 is a reply to message #33357 ] Fri, 26 August 2011 10:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ok, then lets see what your model will look like after painting.

Regards
Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33679 is a reply to message #33360 ] Fri, 02 September 2011 07:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi caesar

Sorry for the long delay.

The horn on the left is plain WSF dipped in diluted Daler & Rowney system 3 Silver acrylic. The horn on the right is polished WSF with 2 coats of Tamiya Fine surface primer followed by 2 coats of Humbrol Silver Acrylic.

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/images/bari-horns-wsf-pwsf.jpg
Larger image here

Paul

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2011 07:09 UTC]

Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #33688 is a reply to message #33679 ] Fri, 02 September 2011 11:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
very nice, now I know what to deal with.
Thanks a bunch for your help!
Re: Strong&Flexible materials - stain [message #37553 is a reply to message #33679 ] Fri, 28 October 2011 19:26 UTC Go to previous message
avatar null_and_void  is currently offline null_and_void
Go to my shop
I'm thinking of building a model boat. How are these paints applied? Brush, spray, dip, sponge? all of the above? I'm new at toy and model building.

Previous Topic:Polished WSF
Next Topic:outdoor/waterproofed "plastic" materials

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.