Home » Community » General Discussion » How do I define an accurate size for a ring?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How do I define an accurate size for a ring? [message #32618] Sat, 13 August 2011 12:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar danbert82  is currently offline danbert82
Go to all my models
Hello,

I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere; I searched the forums for a while and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Here's what I'm up to: I'm creating a ring design in Maya (2012). I have already tested the OBJ export and Shapeways seems to read my files just fine (though I haven't actually ordered any models yet).

Obviously I want to make sure the ring is a very specific size. What would be the best way to do that, coming from Maya? Do I use Maya's coordinate system to make the inside of the ring 18 units wide (as an example) then select millimeters as the conversion method when I order it? Should I use a different format other than OBJ?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much!

~Dan
Re: How do I define an accurate size for a ring? [message #32725 is a reply to message #32618 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 14:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm not used to using Maya so I don't anything about its co-ordinate system, however, in Rhino the user chooses what the CS is supposed to represent; i.e. inches, millimetres, etc. I always choose millimetres and simply check that box off when uploading to Shapeways...

Now to address another issue - that of getting an exact size ring. I'm assuming you're designing for stainless steel? That being the case you will have to allow for shrinkage. A model with inside diameter of 18mm will NOT print at that size. So how much will it shrink? I hear you ask. Good question. I haven't found an exact ratio and can only estimate. In my example that ring might end up as 16.5mm dia.

You would do well to search the forums for similar subjects.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: How do I define an accurate size for a ring? [message #32991 is a reply to message #32725 ] Sat, 20 August 2011 03:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar danbert82  is currently offline danbert82
Go to all my models
Thanks Glenn!! That's good to know (particularly about the shrinkage). I'll see what else I can find as well, and maybe not make a ring for my first 3D printing model. Smile I'll print off a few to get more of a feel for the system first.

Take care,
Dan
Re: How do I define an accurate size for a ring? [message #33049 is a reply to message #32991 ] Mon, 22 August 2011 09:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MuseumofSmallThings  is currently offline MuseumofSmallThings
Go to my shop
Hey Dan,
Glenn is correct about the shrinkage. I get almost exact internal diameters if i make the ring 0.5mm bigger than what i am after. It may change depending on how thick your ring band is but i get consistent results by increasing by .5mm so you can try this as a start and adjust if needed. Good luck with your project.

Leigh

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/most
Re: How do I define an accurate size for a ring? [message #33051 is a reply to message #32618 ] Mon, 22 August 2011 10:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Personally I would allow slightly more, but as Leigh says it depends on the thickness of the band. I just got a Green Lantern ring I made for my son (no photo's yet) that I modelled at 15.3 inside dia. It printed at 14.1mm. The band is about 2mm thick.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Irish Carriage - GNRi K15 type carriage
Next Topic:Frosted Ultra Detail Moving Part Spacing and more!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.