Home »  » Shapeways Shops » requesting a customer contact form
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
requesting a customer contact form [message #32836] Wed, 17 August 2011 12:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
I've recently had a model rejected where the rejection was later rescinded. Unfortunately I have no way to contact the customer whose order was cancelled to advise them to make a new order.

There are many similar situations where an artist providing files on Shapeways might want to contact a customer regarding an order.

I understand that Shapeways current mode is to keep customer names and emails confidential, so I'd like to suggest a contact means that would not require this:

A simple web form, where the artist can enter the markup invoice number (from the sales report) of a cancelled (or recent, or frozen) order and enter a short message which can then be forwarded to the end customer.

The back-end for this would validate the invoice number against recent orders and the artist's account and retrieve the customer details, or reject the message if it failed validation (not a recent order, order not cancelled or rejected). The message would then be passed to the customer ('the artist XXXX has asked us to contact you regarding order YYYY, with the following message MMMM")

This would allow some degree of artist/customer contact where there currently is none, without affecting customer privacy.
Re: requesting a customer contact form [message #32837 is a reply to message #32836 ] Wed, 17 August 2011 12:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Second that!

It's a great idea!

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: requesting a customer contact form [message #32840 is a reply to message #32837 ] Wed, 17 August 2011 13:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Co-signed. Very Happy
Re: requesting a customer contact form [message #33224 is a reply to message #32840 ] Wed, 24 August 2011 12:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
I still think such a system could be abused. (I know people in marketing) Some enterprising soul would start contacting all previous buyers every time a new model was available for purchase, etc.

But.. what if there were a checkbox on the checkout page for "Allow the creator to contact me". When checked, the buyer's email would be included in the "you've sold a model" message that the shop owner receives.

That way, it's the decision of the buyer.

I guess a difficulty would be multi-shop purchases.

Thoughts?

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: requesting a customer contact form [message #33227 is a reply to message #33224 ] Wed, 24 August 2011 13:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Wed, 24 August 2011 12:50

I still think such a system could be abused. (I know people in marketing) Some enterprising soul would start contacting all previous buyers every time a new model was available for purchase, etc.

Hence the validation. Contact would only be validated for orders still frozen or which had been recently cancelled.

A simple anti-flooding test would stop any spamming.

Buyers can already choose to contact the artist, but there is no mechanism for contacting OUR customers, hence the web-form with validation idea.
Re: requesting a customer contact form [message #33242 is a reply to message #33227 ] Wed, 24 August 2011 17:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
It could be done with a simple PM link in the 'sold' email - fourm posting & PM already has anti-flooding enabled.

Previous Topic:Confusion on Refund and Return Process
Next Topic:New shop site design bugs

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.