Home » Community » It arrived! » FUD 1:6 Head Sculpt
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
FUD 1:6 Head Sculpt [message #32727] Mon, 15 August 2011 14:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar ckwchu  is currently offline ckwchu
Go to all my models
Hi All, just received my first ever 3D print from Shapeways, it's a head sculpt I made to see the possibility for hand sculpt substitution.

The product is nice but I think this printing technology suits large piece like 1:4 more...

And I don't know the cause of surface discontinuity on the piece, part of the surface is smooth and glossy but part of the surface matte and rough...

But I like my 3D print!~

index.php?t=getfile&id=10568&private=0

original sculpt
index.php?t=getfile&id=10569&private=0

Re: FUD 1:6 Head Sculpt [message #32732 is a reply to message #32727 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 15:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
Nice job! You have great detail in the render and the print. Is that the FUD material?

bobd
Re: FUD 1:6 Head Sculpt [message #32738 is a reply to message #32727 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The rough part is due to the support material, which is in the process of being examined to see how to fix it. I saw this guy at an Orioles game lol. Well a cardboard standup from Die Hard.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: FUD 1:6 Head Sculpt [message #32762 is a reply to message #32738 ] Mon, 15 August 2011 22:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jzichek  is currently offline jzichek
Go to all my models
Very nice sculpt and likeness of Bruce! Did you hollow out the head and approximately how much did it cost to have printed?

I truly hope Shapeways gets the surface roughness problem solved ASAP; there is such great potential for selling small detailed figurines, models etc. in FUD, but the variable surface quality will probably not be acceptable to the average consumer at this point.
Re: FUD 1:6 Head Sculpt [message #32775 is a reply to message #32762 ] Tue, 16 August 2011 05:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ckwchu  is currently offline ckwchu
Go to all my models
Thanks for support~ and yes this is mcclane from die hard.

In fact the FUD has already captured quite a lot of detail from my original sculpt and I know it's just not possible to print those skin texture and small wrinkles in this size. I will need to sand and to regain some skin texture so that i can use for further casting or mod.

This is a hollow sculpt that I already pushed in a hole in zbrush, not really accurate but at least this me saved nearly 100% more material compare with solid sculpt. The final piece costed me about fifty dollars.

Here's the sculpt with a layer of primer.
index.php?t=getfile&id=10591&private=0

Re: FUD 1:6 Head Sculpt [message #32776 is a reply to message #32762 ] Tue, 16 August 2011 06:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar gumball  is currently offline gumball
Go to my shop
This would be awesome on an old Marx Johnny West doll body.

Replace the head of Robert Conrad.

http://www.marxcollector.com/Maddox/Maddox04.jpg

Previous Topic:4c9o outbreak
Next Topic:Arrived and Nearly perfect!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.