Home » Support » 3D Printing » 3D print in paper
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D print in paper [message #27475] Fri, 13 May 2011 16:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar Brandroid  is currently offline Brandroid
Go to all my models
Mcor Technologies makes a 3D printer that uses standard reams of office paper as the build medium. This is probably most exciting to me because of the very low cost to print in this medium. Is there any chance of this technology coming to Shapeways anytime soon?
Re: 3D print in paper [message #27496 is a reply to message #27475 ] Fri, 13 May 2011 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar simonbrblue  is currently offline simonbrblue
Go to my shop
The low price would be great for printing larger parts even if the finished detail and smoothness wouldn't be good enough for small parts. This is one thing that shapeways now lacks (after introducing the fine detail of FUD) - a cheap material for large models.
Re: 3D print in paper [message #32472 is a reply to message #27496 ] Thu, 11 August 2011 00:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Laserschwert  is currently offline Laserschwert
Go to all my models
Just saw the video of this printer, and I'm also hoping that Shapeways considers this technique... it actually might make me print some big stuff Smile
Re: 3D print in paper [message #32604 is a reply to message #27475 ] Fri, 12 August 2011 20:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar karl_blacker  is currently offline karl_blacker
Go to all my models
I really hope they get one as well Razz
Re: 3D print in paper [message #32615 is a reply to message #27475 ] Sat, 13 August 2011 11:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tebee  is currently offline tebee
Go to my shop
It looks an interesting technique, but the material cost is only one small part of the total cost of someone like Shapeways producing a 3-d item and dispatching it to you.

You may not see the savings you expect !

BTW is it just my computer or is the text on their website virtually impossible to read?
Re: 3D print in paper [message #32616 is a reply to message #32615 ] Sat, 13 August 2011 11:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Seems to me something like that would be more practical as a home-based 3D printer for mock-ups and such. I daresay someone with the ingenuity and know-how could probably build such a thing themselves relatively easily.

Very cool stuff.
Re: 3D print in paper [message #33086 is a reply to message #32616 ] Mon, 22 August 2011 19:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SIXTHSCALE  is currently offline SIXTHSCALE
Go to my shop
it would be awesome for shapeways to offer this!!!!
Re: 3D print in paper [message #35834 is a reply to message #27475 ] Tue, 04 October 2011 06:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ianjohnson  is currently offline ianjohnson
Go to all my models
Just wanted to bump this. Mcor is has changed their business plan. They will lease their printer for a flat fee that includes all material and maintenance. For what amounts to about $1100/mo, you get the printer and unlimited blades, adhesive, paper and maintenance.

I wouldn't expect post processing to cost any more than what is already typical for the cheaper materials and shapeways. It's just peeling paper, no equipment required. Even accounting for general overhead and markup, I would think the Matrix would be able to offer a per/cm3 cost quite a bit lower than Sandstone.
Re: 3D print in paper [message #35837 is a reply to message #35834 ] Tue, 04 October 2011 06:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Ian,

Looks interesting, has anyone tried these 3D prints?

Do you have a link?

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2011 06:55 UTC]

Duann Scott,
Re: 3D print in paper [message #35888 is a reply to message #27475 ] Tue, 04 October 2011 21:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ianjohnson  is currently offline ianjohnson
Go to all my models
Company site-
http://www.mcortechnologies.com/

TCT Article about MCOR -
http://www.3dworknet-3dprinters.nl/fileupload/Matrix_TCT.pdf

http://www.3dworknet.com sells the Matrix in the Netherlands and offers printing services with it.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2011 22:26 UTC]

Previous Topic:Shrinkage Question - WSF and Silver
Next Topic:Cost for a human head?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.