Home » Community » It arrived! » Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32317] Tue, 09 August 2011 04:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar ChrisWilmer  is currently offline ChrisWilmer
Go to my shop
My teacups designed to look like Shanghai style "soup-filled" dumplings arrived! I made one for my father and one as a birthday present for a friend.

I'm a also a photorealistic render aficionado, so I've attached two pictures: one is a photo taken with iPhone of the ceramic teacup that arrived from Shapeways today, and the other is a purely digital render. Can you guess which is which? Wink

-Chris

P.S. I'm drinking espresso out of one right now. I love it!

index.php?t=getfile&id=10424&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=10425&private=0

• Attachment: teacup1.jpg
    (Size: 51.14KB, Downloaded 385 time(s))

• Attachment: teacup2.jpg
    (Size: 99.09KB, Downloaded 390 time(s))

Re: Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32331 is a reply to message #32317 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 11:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
Very nice! And great rendering, what did you use for that?

As for guessing... I'd say nr 2 is the photo, the bumps are a little too regular in nr 1 (and in the vertical part of the handle I see those little red/green speckles you get with digital camera's Cool )
Re: Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32336 is a reply to message #32317 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 14:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I'd agree with Wahtah except my reasoning is different. The texture of the ground of 2 is unique all around instead of repeated (a black leather?) and the shadow is more dispersed by reflecting light. Where in a render, unless you build walls with slight reflective properties around your item, you don't get this effect.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32342 is a reply to message #32336 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Can't fool you guys! (but I will keep trying in the future)

You're right about the photos. In answer to the first reply, I used Blender to model the teacup and Luxrender to make the "photorealistic" render. Applying textures is not really a strength of mine yet, and I think that gave me away here with the "too regular" bumpiness in the rendered version.
Re: Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32345 is a reply to message #32342 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 15:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Chris Wilmer wrote on Tue, 09 August 2011 15:33

Can't fool you guys! (but I will keep trying in the future)

You're right about the photos. In answer to the first reply, I used Blender to model the teacup and Luxrender to make the "photorealistic" render. Applying textures is not really a strength of mine yet, and I think that gave me away here with the "too regular" bumpiness in the rendered version.

I wish I could sit down and learn Blender... I use Keyshot for my renders. The textures would have been less revealing if the real photo's texture wasn't so evident (talking about the background texture) I'll have to look into Luxrender as without the real pic to compare I wouldn't have guessed that was a render.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32358 is a reply to message #32345 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 18:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Keyshot looks nice. Why are you beating yourself up over learning Blender? Blender is my main program for historical and open-source reasons... but I've since expanded to using other things and I'm blown away by what's out there.

3D-Coat, in particular, seems really well suited to 3D-printing. Sculptris is also awesome and super easy to use. I love Blender, but it's like driving a used car with an 13 setting stick-shift that's always going in and out of the shop compared to the automatic it-just-works cars that are representing other programs in this rambling analogy.
Re: Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32359 is a reply to message #32317 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 19:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I want to learn blender because I've seen all the stuff on there that has come out of it, and no other free program compares. I use KeyCreator from my job, and it's great for mechanical drawings, but organic stuff kills it. I wouldn't mind sitting down and learning Sculptris either.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32365 is a reply to message #32317 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
That render is beautiful (as is the cup itself)! I also managed to guess which was the photo, using the same reasoning as YKW, but it took some squinting to be sure... Razz

Mike - Sculptris doesn't really require any learning, it's about as plug-and-play as you can get. Fire it up and start moving your mouse, and you pretty much instinctively know what to do with it. Even my dad can work it!
Re: Soup-filled Dumpling Teacup! [message #32366 is a reply to message #32365 ] Tue, 09 August 2011 20:14 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I was about to say the same thing. There's no "learning" with Sculptris, only "playing".

Previous Topic:Mutant Crystals
Next Topic:Pinwheel pendant with a clip fitting

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.